Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Possible hard drive issue?

I have a 2011 Imac with 16GB Ram and a 1TB Sandisk SSD. I was having issues doing local backups, so I command + R and got into the Disk utility and verified and repaired the main drive. nothing I haven't done plenty of times, right? Now once I did that, I clicked on the Macintosh HD partition, and went to verify it, but it said it could not verify disk and said it needed to repair, then but then it could not repair the disk. Tried to reboot the computer but it then would not boot up properly. It just loads maybe about halfway, then totally shuts down.

Im not sure if this is a probably with the HD itself or something I did(or maybe a weird coincidence?), as I have repaired and verified the disk plenty of times, and the computer was working fine before I went into the disk utility. Not sure whats wrong but id like to weigh all my options before I have to resort to going to a local backup.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:40 AM

If you have had to repair the drive a number of times this may indicate the drive is failing. You can run Apple's Hardware Test (Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support), if you do run it a minimum of 2-3 times back to back in extended mode. The reason to run it multiple times is it does not always pick up errors however when it does they are correct.

However for more reliable testing, take the machine to an Apple Store or AASP to be professionally diagnosed, they will have the proper tools for doing so.

Please let us know what it turns out to be.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Marcus451

If you have had to repair the drive a number of times this may indicate the drive is failing. You can run Apple's Hardware Test (Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support), if you do run it a minimum of 2-3 times back to back in extended mode. The reason to run it multiple times is it does not always pick up errors however when it does they are correct.

However for more reliable testing, take the machine to an Apple Store or AASP to be professionally diagnosed, they will have the proper tools for doing so.

Please let us know what it turns out to be.

Jul 2, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Marcus451

I see, perhaps I misunderstood your initial post.

However it still is not a bad idea to run AHT multiple times back to back. One thought.... before taking the time to run AHT multiple times (this can take hours) I would recommend posting an EtreCheck report of your computer and we can look for obvious issues. If you are not familiar with EtreCheck please click http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Imac Possible hard drive issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.