Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i export playlists on new itunes version

Hi

Can someone please explain to me how to export playlists on the new version of Itunes?

I have a new computer and have transferred all my songs over, however i cannot figure out how to export playlists in XML format to my new computer?

All guides suggest right clicking the playlist and clicking export, however i cannot see this option

All advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Thomas

Windows computer-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:15 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Meado77

You shouldn't have to export/import playlists. If you replicate the complete iTunes library from old computer to new then all playlists, etc. will be available automatically. If necessary, consolidate the library on the old machine so that all music, etc. is contained with the iTunes folder (default location C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes) - the structure look like this:

User uploaded file

Then copy this entire folder structure to the equivalent location on the new computer. The key point is to ensure that the iTunes database (the iTunes Library.itl file), which contains all the details of playlists, ratings, playlists, etc.) is copied over and that this has the same relation to the iTunes Media folder on both machines.

Apple's guidelines on How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support describes the steps required; turingtest2's user tips on Make a split library portable and Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy describe the methods that may be necessary to restructure your library before migration and a suitable/recommended method for replicating the library respectively.

Jul 2, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Meado77

Did you copy the iTunes Library.itl file as described? If so, hold down SHIFT as you start iTunes; when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library..., navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file that you copied over from the old PC. From your description iTunes may be picking of the database for a new library created on the new machine to which you've added your media. The other advantage of replicating the complete library, including the database, is that iDevices see this as the same library as was on the old machine, so no issues with content being erased when you try to resync.

How do i export playlists on new itunes version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.