Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2, music on external NAS appears but won't play

I have been successfully using iTunes to rip my CD collection and store the MP4 files on MYBookLive NAS drive. Since upgrading to 12.2 I can set the NAS drive as location for library but no update seems to take place. Tracks and albums appear but no artwork. No music plays within iTunes but Sonos manages to play tracks from NAS ok. Any suggestions?

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:35 AM

6 replies

Jul 2, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Limnos

Apart from a few stray MP3 files which I have downloaded or recorded all my 26,000 songs were on the NAS drive in order that Sonos could play them. I used Tunes to rip the CDs as Apple Lossless files and apart from the occasional glitch where I would have to find the folder the music files were in to play them on iTunes the thing worked OK until 12.2 came along.

Jul 5, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Limnos

iTunes appears to recognise that the song is in the library and when I try to play it I get a dialogue box offering to clear waiting songs from Up Next but when I press play nothing happens. Below is a Screen Shot of where iTunes thinks the file is located which doesn't look quite right.

It is only the iTunes Media folder that is on the NAS!

User uploaded file

Jul 14, 2015 8:38 PM in response to Brad Shuler1

To be frank, that isn't really news. In fact this issue has been taking place in some form with NAS for some time now, well prior to iTunes 12.2. Maybe it is a bit worse now, though there are always issues with any iTunes update that introduces some radically new feature. I think you also need to understand how things work. Apple considers itself a largely closed system and is largely a black box. It supports things it makes and also provides interface support to the extent of, "Here is an interface for you and you need to develop something that works with it." You can buy third party products and many do work, but it is not something guaranteed by Apple, nor something for which they provide support. In other words, yes, they changed something in iTunes that makes third party NAS have maybe slightly more problems than it has for a while, but frankly I doubt they even care much. I suspect Apple tested it with their NAS (Time Capsule) and whatever they deemed to be representative iTunes libraries and it worked and that's as far as was deemed necessary. I imagine it is up to the NAS manufacturers to change to adapt to the new interface even if it was something Apple changed that made the old ones not work. I'm not saying this is right or wrong but it is the way things are.

iTunes 12.2, music on external NAS appears but won't play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.