Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Mybook not mounting

I have 2 different iMacs; one is an intel 2009 and the other is a 2013. Both are running Mavericks. I am in the process of "retiring" the older one since it seems to be slowing down. I have 2 different WD Mybook external Hard Drives and an OWC external HD. 2 out of the 3 hard drives mount and work correctly on the newer imac. All three work properly on the older iMac. Does anyone know the solution? I am using the USB connection on both computers and have tried all the different ports to see if it was a faulty port or not. I've tried shutting down the computer to no success. I'd prefer not having to buy a new external HD and transferring data but will do so if necessary. Any recommendations on a new HD would be appreciated as well.

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:54 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 3:51 PM in response to phuduc

I am not sure what you mean by "Would the weak USB still be a potential problem?"

If you mean the USB cable, then USB cables can and do fail. Also, NEVER connect a unpowered EHD or USB hub to an iMac. The iMac USB ports simply do not put out enough power to power the device.

Finally, if it turns out to be a EHD issue then consider a higher quality EHD. WD EHDs are inexpensive therefore they are very popular. If you put valuable data on it then that simply does not make sense to choose them. By installing valuable data on cheap components, you have purposed potentially compromised your data. Many experienced users on these forums will only use high quality EHD's such as OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series EHDs. While they are a little more expensive, the quality is outstanding.

WD Mybook not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.