Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I take a screen capture an alert says; "You don't have permission"

It's vital that I be "allowed" to take screen captures for use in my video production. However after I take one an alert says; "You don't have permission to save files in the location selected". I am logged in as the administrator so it's surprising that I'm restricted in this way. How do I "unlock" the location or change the location to somewhere where I'm "allowed" to save things at???

thank you - robert

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:53 AM

1 reply

Jul 2, 2015 12:18 PM in response to RobertMarcos

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

defaults read com.apple.screencapture | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

When I take a screen capture an alert says; "You don't have permission"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.