Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iTunes accept my password after a restore?

I'm trying to restore my ipod touch 5th gen after trying to update to IOS 8.4 and now iTunes won't accept my password. I'm logged into iTunes using the correct password. My iPod says Hello on home screen.

iPod touch, iOS 7.0.2, null

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 8:13 AM

10 replies

Jul 2, 2015 9:57 AM in response to lllaass

I always have to enter my password - usually twice.

I don't know exactly how I got to where I am in iTunes - but I have the option to setup my iPod as new or to restore from a previous backup. It lists my backups. I chose the most recent one. Then selected Continue. Enter the password to open your iPod backup comes up. When I enter it it says iTunes could not restore my iPod touch because the password is incorrect.

On my iPod I see Hello, then slide the arrow to open setup. It asks me to choose my network, the location services, then I have choices to 1. Setup as new ipod touch 2. Restore from iCloud backup 3. Restore from iTunes backup. I chose the last one. Now my screen just shows Connect to iTunes and has a pic of a cable pointing to iTunes icon.

Jul 2, 2015 10:07 AM in response to 2Krusht

The password for an encrypted backup, which is what you have, is whatever you selected when yo setup the encrypted backup. It is only the same as for yur Apple ID if you made then the same.

However, once in a long while iTunes glitches and sets up an encrypted backup. If that is the case all yo can do is keep guessing.

Why won't iTunes accept my password after a restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.