Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"play", "add to up next", "play Next" buttons not working

Running Apple MacBook 10.6.8 and Itunes 11.4

2.66 ghz i7

4 gb 1067 ddr3

Currently Itunes is almost unusable. I believe there is definitely a bug but reinstalling Itunes is not working.

If I mouse over an album title or artist name there are options to "play", "add to up next" or "play next" which is supposed.

Pressing Play will only play the first song in the album.

Clicking on "Add to up next" or "play next" simply do nothing, adding nothing to the queue.

The only way I can get items into the queue is by manually selecting each song and then clicking "add to up next".

For similar reasons there doesn't seem to be any way to actually play a playlist (the play button doesn't do anything in the playlist).

Also there doesn't seem to be any way to "shuffle" anything because the only way I can play songs is by manually adding them to "up next", which doesn't let me shuffle anything.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 8:11 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 10:58 AM in response to TommyG2012

Hmm, strange.

I am also running my laptop with a Windows Bootcamp version (though I am having the problem while I am running the Mac side of things and not accessing the Bootcamp install at all). I don't know if that would affect anything for some reason.

However, I did try and play a song from my Ipad using Home Sharing. When I clicked on the problematic buttons on the Ipad controlling my Mac (i.e. play a playlist or play an album) it said something along the lines of "unable to perform this task because the file can't be found". But just clicking on a song worked fine.

Jul 2, 2015 11:08 AM in response to TommyG2012

OK, looks like I figured out something at least that is helping.

For whatever reason, the new album I imported came in with the songs "selected". For some reason, all my old albums were not "selected".

From the drop down box there is an option to "check selection" on the greyed out albums which worked for albums.

Now it looks like if I go into song view and choose select all, check selection, now all my albums/songs are back to being playable.

As far as I can tell this solved my problem...will follow up if not.

"play", "add to up next", "play Next" buttons not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.