Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano and OS X Tiger

I just got an iPod nano 6th generation, and now I'm trying to sync it with my computer. I upgraded iTunes to the latest version my Mac would run, iTunes 9.2.1. But then I got a message saying that my iPod had to be used with iTunes 10.0 or later. When I try downloading and installing iTunes 10, the installer says that the package can only be used with OS X 10.5 or later, and I'm running 10.4.11. I would normally just buy Leopard, but Apple doesn't sell it anymore! The earliest version they sell is Snow Leopard (Intel only, and I have PowerPC). Why has Apple stopped supporting it's loyal customers who bought their PowerPC Macs? But let's get back to this question's topic: my iPod nano. How can I sync it? Sure, I could just the FM radio for music, but it would be so much better to just have my own music and photos on it! But I think I just found something that gets my closer to running iTunes 10. I downloaded this app that shows you the contents of any package, and let's you make copies of them! I now have a copy of iTunes 10 on my desktop, and I've also installed the CoreFP package and the iTunes access package into their folders located in the system folder. Now iTunes is fully installed and ready to be run, right? Wrong. When I try to open iTunes, I get a message saying that it cannot be used with my version of OS X. What to change next, the Info.plist file? The Apple website used to say that OS X 10.4.11 was required to use iTunes 10, but they've updated it to say 10.5. Is there something I can change in either my System or Library folder, or in the contents of the iTunes application? Or, is there another program or another way to sync to my iPod nano? Please help.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 8:12 AM

10 replies

Jul 2, 2015 8:19 AM in response to HFTaylor12

HFTaylor12 wrote:

Why has Apple stopped supporting it's loyal customers who bought their PowerPC Macs?

Because Apple quit building PowerPC computers 10 years ago.

Now iTunes is fully installed and ready to be run, right?

No.

When I try to open iTunes, I get a message saying that it cannot be used with my version of OS X. What to change next, the Info.plist file?

No. You need to change your processor to an Intel and use a later version of Mac OS.

Jul 2, 2015 8:25 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Which iTunes version does the package for the nano say it requires? Typically this is the version of iTunes current at the time the device was sold. In other words even if you were to upgrade to iTunes 10 you may still find you are not running the minimum iTunes version.

You may still be able to return the nano if it is within the (2 week?) return period. Either that or buy a new computer (and yes, I know your position since I too run Tiger on a G4, but I also do not want to buy an Apple media player because it requires iTunes).

Jul 2, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

Which iTunes version does the package for the nano say it requires? Typically this is the version of iTunes current at the time the device was sold. In other words even if you were to upgrade to iTunes 10 you may still find you are not running the minimum iTunes version.

You may still be able to return the nano if it is within the (2 week?) return period. Either that or buy a new computer (and yes, I know your position since I too run Tiger on a G4, but I also do not want to buy an Apple media player because it requires iTunes).

I don't have the package, I got the nano used. And iTunes clearly says that my iPod will work with iTunes 10. Here's a screenshot:

User uploaded file

No, I can't install the latest version of iTunes, as I said earlier.

And, again, sense I got the nano used, it can't be returned.

Jul 2, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

iTunes 10.6.3

Leopard has never been available for download. You will have to make sure your computer can even run it (not all G4s can, and sometimes not without hardware upgrades) then buy the DVD from a used source (Apple stopped selling it years ago).

It happens that just before I saw your message, I found a Leopard download. Go to http://www.downloadfreeiso.com/2013/10/apple-mac-os-x-leopard-105-download-free. html and the Leopard download can be found there. It's still downloading, so I don't know if it works. Also, what's your link

for iTunes for? I already downloaded iTunes from that link.

Jul 2, 2015 3:07 PM in response to HFTaylor12

Well, it is pirated software you are downloading and it is up to you if you trust them to not to have included anything extra in the installer for what is going to be taking control of your entire computer and all your files from this point on. I guess you may be okay as long as you never plan on connecting that computer to the Internet.

Jul 3, 2015 8:02 PM in response to HFTaylor12

Start looking on used computer sources such as ebay. Fortunately Leopard is so outdated now that the vastly inflated prices you paid for a used copy a few years ago has probably reduced. Make sure you get the black retail installer discs, not grey, machine-specific ones. Of course I don't recall our establishing you can even run Leopard on your G4.

iPod nano and OS X Tiger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.