Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 black full-screen on launch

I had a problem after upgrading to iTunes v12.2 (12.2.0.145) on a fresh upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.4. I've fixed it myself and I'm posting this because I didn't see any other questions with this exact trouble. Maybe this post will help someone else.

The last time I used iTunes before the overnight update, the app was in full screen mode. This morning, the desktop assigned to iTunes was completely black and none of the keyboard shortcuts would work to return to a windowed app screen. In fact, after following another suggestion, I was able to get the "iCloud session has timed out" prompt, but the password field was unresponsive to keyboard input. Only a Force Quit would close the application. Strangely enough, using the Space bar to start playback did work, but the screen would remain black. Also, launching a movie or music file from the Finder would launch iTunes and begin playback, but the app would still retain the completely black full screen.

Here's what I did:

Launch iTunes while holding the Option key to force the app to prompt for a new Library location. From this prompt, create a new, empty library anywhere on your hard drive. iTunes will now launch normally. Make sure the app is not in full screen mode and then Quit the app. Holding the Option key, again launch the app and this time Choose your previous, full iTunes Library. It should launch normally into a non-full screen window and function normally. If you prefer full screen mode, you can now use that option and everything should function as normal.

I hope this helps!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 27" iMac Core i7 Quad 12GB

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 8:20 AM

13 replies

Jul 4, 2015 12:41 AM in response to Phillip Breske

seems there is a bug with the full screen mode in the new iTunes 12.2. I just spent a bit of time with Apple Support, and they didn't have a fix and were not aware of the bug, but i managed to sort it out by :

- uninstalling iTunes (drag the icon from the dock to the trash, empty trash, don't worry won't delete your music library)

- go to iTunes.com and downloaded 12.2 again, re-install

- start iTunes, and even if you get the black screen again, use Command-Tab to go back to another app (switch to another non-full screen app)

- click on iTunes icon in dock (may have to do this a couple times) to switch back and bring iTunes to the forefront again

if you left iTunes in full screen mode last time before you updated to 12.2, it is still set in full screen mode and tries to go full screen when you first start 12.2 for the first time - problem arises. also try using Option + Command to start iTunes (starts it in Safe Mode) as that may reset the full screen mode option.

iTunes 12.2 black full-screen on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.