Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal invites sent to Mail, not to another iCal

Hello,

We use one MacBook Pro and one MacBook Air. Both run 10.10.4 and use iCal and Mail. Here is an interesting situation:

---

1. An iCal event is created on MacBook Air.

1.1 The invite is sent to MacBook Pro.

1.2 The invite appears in the iCal running on the MacBook Pro.

1.3 The MacBook Pro user responds to the invite from his iCal.

---

2. An iCal event is created on MacBook Pro.

2.1 The invite is sent to MacBook Air.

2.2 The invite appears in the Mail client running on MacBook Air.

2.3 The MacBook Air user can only "Save the Event" on her iCal running on MacBook Air.

---

Question 1: Why the invites are handled differently by MacBook Pro and MacBook Air?

Question 2: Is there a config option on MacBook Air to receive the invites directly into its iCal rather than in Mail?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Also MacBook Air 10.10.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 9:23 AM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 10:02 AM in response to yasno

Hi yasno,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the Calendar application on your MacBook Air is only receiving invites via email and not in Calendar. In this situation, I would recommend some of the steps outlined in the attached article below if you are using an iCloud calendar in the Calendar application on both computers.

Get help using iCloud Calendar - Apple Support

Turn on iCloud Calendar and upgrade your software

• Choose Apple () > System Preferences, click iCloud, and select Calendars (or Calendars & Reminders on OS X Mountain Lion).
  • Upgrade to the latest version of OS X that's supported by your Mac.

Check your iCloud account details

Go to Apple () > System Preferences, and click iCloud. Make sure that you're signed in to the same iCloud account that you're using on your other supported devices.

Check your default Calendar account

If you store and edit your events in the iCloud section of Calendar instead of another account section, like On My Mac, Exchange, or Google, iCloud will automatically update your calendars. Learn more about moving local calendars to iCloud.

If you use multiple accounts on your Mac like iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo, make sure that iCloud is your default Calendar account:

1. Open Calendar.
  2. Choose Calendar > Preferences.
  3. On the General tab, make sure that one of your iCloud calendars is the default.

Turn off iCloud Calendar and turn it back on

1. Quit Calendar.
  2. Choose
    Apple () > System Preferences, and click iCloud.
  3. Deselect Calendars (or Calendars & Reminders on OS X Mountain Lion).
    On OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks, when asked, click Delete from Mac.
  4. Close System Preferences and wait about a minute.
  5. Open System Preferences and choose iCloud.
  6. Select Calendars (or Calendars & Reminders on OS X Mountain Lion).
  7. Open Calendar.

Best regards,

Joe

Jul 6, 2015 8:15 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you, Joe. I've performed all of these steps. Nevertheless, MacBook Air continues to receive all iCal invitations via email, while MacBook Pro gets them directly into iCal. Note that the two computers are logged into iCloud under two different iCould users. Thanks, again! Igor

P.S. Actually, I must qualify this - the iCloud user who's running the MacBook Air also uses 2 other devices - an iPad and an iPhone. All three devices receive the iCal invitations via Mail, not iCal. Perhaps, the proper settings are located on the iCloud user configuration rather than on a specific device?

Jul 7, 2015 9:38 AM in response to AppleJoe

Joe, the answer may be in a different approach. Rather than using an "Invite" option, I created a shared calendar for both users. Any event that is placed into this shared calendar appears on all devices that the two iCloud users are logged into. Thanks for your help. I consider this issue as closed. Igor

iCal invites sent to Mail, not to another iCal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.