Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I use Mac mini with OS 10.6.8. I selected Telugu script. I get the 'matras' mixed up. Please suggest a method to get 'matras' correctly.

I use Mac mini with OS 10.6.8. I selected Telugu script. I get the 'matras' mixed up. Please suggest a method to get 'matras' correctly.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 8:15 AM

2 replies

Jul 5, 2015 4:13 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your response. Sorry I am late coming back.

1. Selecting Telugu script.

Go to System Preferences -> Language and Text -> Select Telugu from list.

While typing select Telugu (phonetic) from Google Input Tools. Use phonetic typing i.e. type the Telugu word in Roman script. The word gets converted to Telugu script. This works only in pages from sites like Facebook. But when I try Telugu typing in Word or Pages I cannot access Google input tools. I can of course, select a Telugu font from the Font section button in Word screen.

2. Now what is 'matra'? 'Matras' are symbols used to add various vowels to various consonants to make up the spelling of a word. Use of Matra (singular of Matras) is a characteristic of most Indian languages such as Telugu, Hindi, Kannada etc. It is adapted from Samskrit, the mother of many Indian languages. The following examples illustrate the use of matra. My two questions are

1. How to get proper Telugu characters without the 'Matras' getting mixed up?

2. How to get Telugu typing in Word or Pages?

User uploaded file

I hope I was able to explain 'Matra'. I shall be thankful for answers to my questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.