Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8.4 Getting Lightning Cable Error

I have an iPhone 6 and use a non-Apple, MFI-certified, brand-name lightning cable that I've been using for about 8 months. I use it with my Apple power cube. That combination has worked fine for several iOS versions.

Two days ago I updated to 8.4 and immediately I received a message on my iPhone that the cable was not supported. I unplugged/plugged it in from both the iPhone and power cube about a dozen times. I rebooted the iPhone, too (full reboot). I keep getting the same message. I tried it with my Apple cable and it worked fine.

I tried another MFI cable from a different manufacturer, but also a big brand name, and it worked fine the first time but every time after that I get the 'unsupported cable' error message.

Is anyone else having this issue with 8.4? Please don't tell me to just use Apple cables; I'm using all MFI-certified cables from quality companies (not imported knock-offs) so they should work.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 9:44 AM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2015 6:17 PM in response to JoelGSilva

Apple hasn't supported non-certified cables since 8.1, so that isn't the current problem. It may be a coincidence that the cable failed around the time you updated. It could also be dirt in the Lightning connector; its very sensitive to even the slightest amount of debris in the connector. So inspect it with a strong light and clean it with something sharp and non-metallic, like a toothpick. Or turn it off and use a pin.

8.4 Getting Lightning Cable Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.