Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod 5 not charging and usb cable not recognized

Hi guys. So I just got this iPod 5th generation yesterday, and everything else about it works great and I was really happy with it. Then I went to charge it because it hit 20%, and put the charger that came with it into a cube and into the wall and it didn't do anything. So then I tried plugging it into my laptop and the laptop said the usb was "not recognized" and "malfunctioned." So I went to find a spare iPhone 5 charger my brother left at my house and when I plugged it into the wall it worked. Then I saw it restart because it had just finished downloading iOS 8.4, and when it was fully turned back on it wasn't charging. I took it out of the wall and put it into my laptop and it said the same thing as the original charger. I can plug it into either one, and the battery symbol will flash to full for a split second and then not do anything. I spent hours yesterday trouble shooting and came up with nothing. If nobody can help find a solution to make it charge, can someone at least tell me if they know for sure if it's a charger problem or the iPod itself? I feel like it's the iPod itself but I don't have anything to plug the chargers in and check, and like I said, I just got this yesterday! I'm pretty bummed out and just don't know what to do.

iPod touch, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 9:10 AM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2015 9:32 AM in response to esatch

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source done

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jul 3, 2015 11:53 AM in response to esatch

Hey, I have the same problem with my device. It started right after I installed the latest software update. I was charging my iPod right before I upgraded it. My netbook wont detect my iPod and I cant charge it as well. Battery icon will flash once and then will not charge at all. Funny thing is, if I turned off my iPod, it will power back on once I plug in the cable and plug it in the wall socket so this probably means that the cable is not the issue. Sadly, my device is no longer under warranty and I am afraid that I wont be able to update it if a patch is made available since my iPod is almost out of juice.

Ipod 5 not charging and usb cable not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.