Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro fans on nearly all the time?

I just bought a mid-2015 Macbook Pro 15 inch retina model. It has the 2GB AMD Radeon card and an upgraded 1TB - ordered directly from Apple. It is of course completely up to date.

I used my Time Machine backup to move over from an iMac to this Macbook Pro. Even though this MacBook Pro is more powerful and capable than my iMac, the fans seem to be on nearly all time.

Even when I'm just running around 6 tabs in Chrome, Spotify, Skype and Mailbox my fans are spinning anywhere between 3000-6000 rpm.

On my 2 year old iMac I used to be able to have 10+ tabs, Photoshop, Sketch and some other resource intensive programs open all at once and it never broke a sweat.

I've tried opening the programs and same amount of tabs on friends' Macbooks which are much less capable but their laptops are silent.

I've also tried SMC reset.

Anyone else having similar issue?

Are the fans supposed to be running that quickly and loudly?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 9:51 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 10:01 AM in response to OliurRahman

OliurRahman wrote:

Are the fans supposed to be running that quickly and loudly?

It depends upon the number an type of applications that you have open. For example, Google Chrome is a resource glutton among browsers and Skype alone can send internal temperatures soaring.

Open Activity monitor to ALL PROCESSES and set CPU to display values from high to low. Close all applications that you can (not system apps) and the see what the temperatures are developed. Open one application at a time and see the change that it produces. This way you should be able to identify those applications that use a lot of resources, create heat and thus force the fan(s) to speed up.

Ciao.

Jul 2, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Allan Jones

I did call Apple. Will be taking it into the store soon to get it looked at. Just wanted to see if there's anything I can do right now.

I definitely haven't installed any crapware such as anti virus or any optimisation apps.

I've been monitoring the CPU in Activity monitor very closely but nothing seems to be running significantly high at all.

What is the normal RPM for the fans?

MacBook Pro fans on nearly all the time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.