Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Late 2013 model) won't power up as quick as it used to

Product name: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Storage Capacity: 500 GB

Version: 10.10.3

After updating my software to Yosemite, i've noticed that my laptop won't power up as fast as when I first bought it. It takes about less than a minute to startup. Compared to the first time I had bought it, it used to power up in less than 5 seconds after pressing the power button. Also, my laptop would suddenly go blank and I would have to press a key or the mouse pad to start it back up. Does the software update have anything to do with this?

I've already tried doing Diagnostics and the first time it said that it might be an adapter problem. It told me to plug in my adapter and run the diagnostic test again, so I did and there were no problems detected.

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:05 AM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:31 PM in response to zelzelzell

The time it takes for my computer to startup once the power button is pressed is my concern. It is not a short delay, but a very long one (maybe about a minute long). When I first bought this laptop, the sales associate had advertised that this specific model (the later than 2013 version) was known to startup a lot quicker than the other laptop models. I just did not want to get scammed, especially since I bought this laptop because of it being able to startup quickly.

Jul 2, 2015 8:58 PM in response to zelzelzell

One thing you could try is to start it up in Safe Mode. (Hold down Shift as it starts up.)

This spends about five minutes doing a Disk Utility (Repair Disk) on your Boot Drive (which is more complex to do any other way) and will show a progress bar while it does this. The bar never fills more than about 1/3 of the way across.

Then it demands your username and password, even if you normally auto-login. Your system will then be running with default settings, and most Drivers are not loaded, so screen re-draw will be slow. See if it seems as responsive in Safe Mode as Regular.

When finished, restart in regular mode. This one time only, it will take longer to start up because it rebuilds some caches, but the next time it should be faster.

MacBook Pro (Late 2013 model) won't power up as quick as it used to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.