Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup up hotmail email account to iCloud backup

I tried backing up a new iPad to iCloud and I wanted it to also back up my Hotmail email account which is being used in this iPad but when I select mail in the iCloud settings it tells me to "create a new free @icloud.com email address to to turn on iCloud Mail"

Doesn't iCloud back up Hotmail email address'?

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 10:52 AM

10 replies

Jul 2, 2015 11:16 AM in response to iPhoneYuKay

iPhoneYuKay wrote:

I tried backing up a new iPad to iCloud and I wanted it to also back up my Hotmail email account which is being used in this iPad but when I select mail in the iCloud settings it tells me to "create a new free @icloud.com email address to to turn on iCloud Mail"

Doesn't iCloud back up Hotmail email address'?

No, that takes place on the Hotmail or Outlook servers where Hotmail lives these days.

Jul 2, 2015 11:19 AM in response to iPhoneYuKay

First thing is icloud backup will not contain hotmail mail no matter what you do. The way icloud backs up mail accounts it backs up their settings and then during restore settings restored to iphone or ipad and then device connects to hotmail servers and syncs mail back.

Second what you are referring to is not hotmail but different mail account - icloud. You may not even need it, but if you turn it on and created address you will have extra email that is separate from hotmail (supported by Microsoft) and supported by Apple.

Backup up hotmail email account to iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.