Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get rid of the playlist header in iTunes 12.2

Hello all,

In the new iTunes 12.2, there's a header above the playlist list view (see screen shot below - region with yellow box in it).

Does anyone know how to turn it off?

stp

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Focusrite Saffire Audio box

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2017 6:01 AM

Hi "Ten Years Gone",

I was looking for a way to disable the stupid header bar too when I saw your post. I'm with you on organization and sorting so let me offer a bit of help.

Obviously it's been a while so perhaps you've already found a way to fix this but others have not so I'm going to drop a tip if you don't mind.

To disable/enable the column browser in any playlist, first you need to go to the "View" tab on the menu bar, scroll to "View As" and select "Songs". Then, go back to the "View" tab, scroll to "Column Browser" and select "Show Column Browser".

Now if you're like me, you like to see your album art in this view. To set that up, go back to the "View" tab, scroll to and select "Show View Options". In the pop-up menu, check the boxes "Show Artwork" and "Always Show".

As for the stupid header bar, still searching but if I find the answer, conventional or otherwise, I'll post.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2017 6:01 AM in response to Ten Years Gone

Hi "Ten Years Gone",

I was looking for a way to disable the stupid header bar too when I saw your post. I'm with you on organization and sorting so let me offer a bit of help.

Obviously it's been a while so perhaps you've already found a way to fix this but others have not so I'm going to drop a tip if you don't mind.

To disable/enable the column browser in any playlist, first you need to go to the "View" tab on the menu bar, scroll to "View As" and select "Songs". Then, go back to the "View" tab, scroll to "Column Browser" and select "Show Column Browser".

Now if you're like me, you like to see your album art in this view. To set that up, go back to the "View" tab, scroll to and select "Show View Options". In the pop-up menu, check the boxes "Show Artwork" and "Always Show".

As for the stupid header bar, still searching but if I find the answer, conventional or otherwise, I'll post.

Jul 3, 2015 8:16 AM in response to hhgttg27

I heartily agree - it even stays when you turn on column browser.

To the Apple UI designers: White space is WASTED space. I understand cleaning things up, but you've gone way to far - information density is *not a bad thing*. If you want to do this kind of thing, please give us a way to turn it off. We want to see our *music* not your elegant grey non-functional background.

It's about the music, not your UI design!

Jul 3, 2015 10:31 AM in response to stephentravispope

Sorry, but I just have to blow off steam: Apple once was a company that was focussed on user-centric user interface design - at a time where terms like UX even did not exist. But today, with every new version bump, you anxiously open well-known applications after the update because you fear that they just implemented another really bad idea.

Like this title bar - it contains only redundant functions that are already available in the user interface, it consists mostly of blank space, and that you cannot disable?! In the iTunes settings, you can even completely disable the new "Apple Music", the new cool thing and flagship that shall once rule the world of audio streaming, but you cannot disable this completely useless piece of wasted screen space???

I don't know what to say anymore.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2015 11:41 AM in response to splintering

I won't lose sleep over the new header that we can't turn off.

What I don't understand: Why do some playlists show the column headers (name, artist, album) while some don't show that at all?

The ability to sort is rather important to me...so not having it is very annoying.

I hope Apple works on this beta before making it available to everyone.

Jul 12, 2015 10:48 AM in response to stephentravispope

It's ironic that iTunes has an option (in the View menu) to hide the "Status" bar, which is the tiny bar at the very bottom of the Window. That status bar only takes up the amount of space needed to display about 1 song, but the designers were thoughtful enough for the users and their monitor space that they provided a way to disable it anyway. This monstrous new header in iTunes 12.2 takes up 120 pixels, so that is enough room for about 5-6 songs and it is about 11% of the heght of my monitor! I would much rather see 5-6 more songs in the list than see this giant header that is filled with redundant information.

From an aesthetic point of view, this header fails. It seems to randomly pick some album art and colors to display for you. Well, I don't want Apple deciding what colors to use to represent my playlist. I want the music to speak for itself and I don't want my mood to be affected by some random color gradients that Apple wants to show me. Also, what if I'm at work or in some sort of professional setting, and I don't want people to see the album art in that header because it's not appropriate?

In conclusion, this header makes iTunes objectively less usable, and less aesthetically pleasing. Apple has made a mistake with this one. They should really add an option to disable the header in the next version; it should be in the View menu and it could be called something like "Hide Playlist Header".

Instead of adding this header, they should simply display the playlist name in the status bar at the bottom. The playlist name is not always visible because the left-hand pane might be scrolled to some other position. It is nice to have the playlist name on the screen, but you don't need to put it in such a wasteful header like this.

I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Jul 16, 2015 6:07 PM in response to Elavid

Utterly infuriating: the wasted space in the header, plus the wasted space at the right of the screen (iPad) that shows album covers?

Result? Actual playlist being narrow and smaller, shoved to the left of the screen. Font size is now so small, fingers can barely poke the button to turn songs on/off.

And where, oh where, have they hidden the elapsed time info? No, that spinning red circle is NOT an accurate indicator of elapsed time, thank you very much.

There are actually some of us who use iTunesd professionally, to teach movement classes and exercise classes. This latest update has sent me scampering to look for a different app, in an effort to restore music-playing functionality to my iPad.

how to get rid of the playlist header in iTunes 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.