Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 - grey squares instead of play buttons

I have a strange little issue with iTunes 12.2 on an iMac (mid 2011) running Mountain Lion. I installed the iTunes update via the Mac App Store today and everything went smoothly - all the Apple Music features are working, everything seems stable. But there's an annoying little glitch: in the "For You", "New", "Radio" and "Connect" tabs I get little grey squares instead of play buttons.

This is what it should look like:

User uploaded file

This is what I see EVERYWHERE in Apple Music:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

What I've tried so far:

- I removed iTunes and reinstalled it (with the installer downloaded from Apple)

- I reinstalled iTunes with Pacifist (because I remembered that Pacifist supposedly replaces the little files that iTunes scatters all over the HD)

- I deleted the iTunes related caches in Home>Library>Caches

- I repaired permissions

- I restarted the iMac

... but no luck.

I have searched up and down but nobody else seems to have this issue - so I'm kind of at a loss here... I'd very much appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

I know I'm nitpicking since those little squares are not directly affecting my usage of the application, but I'll be honest, they're driving me nuts 😉

PS: maybe I should mention that I upgraded directly from iTunes 11.4 - I wasn't a big fan of iTunes 12 and stayed with 11 until today. I just upgraded because of Apple Music.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:14 PM

I am getting the gray squares also. When I click on "Beats 1" I get a message that says "This station requires 10.9.3 or later". I am running an older OSX version due to third party graphics software that cost a fortune to upgrade and I will not upgrade just so I can pay for the new Apple radio service. Sweet-Jane, it looks like you will need to update to 10.9.3 or revert back to the iTunes version you had before your update to 12.2

Good luck!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 1:14 PM in response to sweet-jane

I am getting the gray squares also. When I click on "Beats 1" I get a message that says "This station requires 10.9.3 or later". I am running an older OSX version due to third party graphics software that cost a fortune to upgrade and I will not upgrade just so I can pay for the new Apple radio service. Sweet-Jane, it looks like you will need to update to 10.9.3 or revert back to the iTunes version you had before your update to 12.2

Good luck!

Jul 2, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Macinthebox

Thank you very much for chiming in with your experience. I never would have guessed that the grey squares could be related to Mountain Lion - but since you're seeing the same thing and Beats 1 isn't even functioning on 10.8.5 (I hadn't noticed this before you mentioned it).... well, I guess it's indeed Mountain-Lion-related :-(

That's a shame. It looks like it's time for me to make the jump to Yosemite.... I totally understand that you're not going to upgrade in your situation though - Apple Music is not worth that kind of cost, considering that services like Spotify or Rdio run just fine on older hardware.

Anyway, thanks again for your post!

Jul 4, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Luis Alejandro

Yeah, I'll admit that this bothers me as well.... one might think that Apple tested iTunes 12.2 on older systems, otherwise they wouldn't have pushed the update to those machines. And I can't believe that a glaring visual glitch like that could be missed in testing.

I'm tempted to file a bug report, but I'm not sure if this is even possible without being a developer.

iTunes 12.2 - grey squares instead of play buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.