Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phantom Text Messages — They won't go away, even when I've read them!

For two months now my Messages app on my iPhone has shown 32 unread text messages in the notifications badge. All of the offending messages are from the same person (my partner, with whom I text frequently). Additionally, when I try to text that person, sometimes my new messages will not go through — they'll get held up in "Sending" for ages, or simply show up as not delivered.

I've tried everything. I've quit Messages. I've turned notifications off and on. I've reset the network, I've reset all settings. I've tried deleting a few messages from the conversation and restarting and I've tried deleting the entire conversation. I've asked Siri to "read unread messages," which has her read aloud all 32 of those messages (all of which are from when we were traveling in Europe in May), a humorous enterprise which still doesn't remove the "32 unread messages" notification. I've erased and restored the entire phone from an iCloud backup.

At this point I have no idea what to do! I may try to erase the entire phone and reinstall all the aspects individually, though I'd be sad to lose all of my text messages. There's a lot of history there, and I frequently search through old messages for work-related information. (A lot of my work is indexed in Messages.)

Does anyone have a fix? Or at the very least a way to archive my old Messages so I can go through them later?

thanks,

DV

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:44 AM

6 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:53 PM in response to samuelkidd

It sounds like you're going to have to reset to factory condition - you've done everything else (nice troubleshooting, BTW). Something apparently got geeked up in your files when you went overseas which has been unable to be corrected by anything you've tried. You can use a 3rd party app to archive your text messages; TouchCopy gets mentioned here frequently as a good one. Best of luck.

Jul 19, 2015 3:36 PM in response to samuelkidd

I'm having the exact same problem right now, only I didn't go oversea. It only started a couple days ago and it's up to 23 unread at the moment and counting. Its only happening with my husband's texts for me. I'm starting to think maybe the problem is on his end? I'm not sure. I've tried everything on his phone, too. Nothing helped. I'm so frustrated and I refuse to reset my phone and lose all my texts. If you end up fixing it, please let me know!

Jul 19, 2015 4:08 PM in response to deggie

It's true — a basic reset or restoring your iPhone from backup won't erase all text messages. However, I've tried both those options and it didn't work.

I think the only way is to erase my iPhone entirely and not restore from a backup — i.e., to start all over again, and add apps, emails, etc. afresh. This will erase all my photos though as well, so waiting for the pics (some 10,000 of them) to upload to iCloud before I go ahead. :-0

Phantom Text Messages — They won't go away, even when I've read them!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.