Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update 8.4 where are my ringtones?

My ringtones have been removed from my phone after the 8.4 update. They are still in the ITunes folder on my PC but ITunes will not recognise them. Why oh why oh why do they do this stupid stuff?

iPad Air, iOS 8.2

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:52 AM

13 replies

Jul 2, 2015 1:19 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

When you look up Tones on the IPhone on ITunes on my PC it shows "Sync Tones" with a faded "0 tones" and a tick alongside - OK? And "All Tones" is selected beneath. So this "0 tones" is saying there are no tones.

Yet if you go to the file Library on my PC and open up the folder called "Ringtone" they are all there. Amazingly if I click on any of them to play them, ITunes actually plays the tones. Yet it will not sync to them.

Jul 3, 2015 2:03 AM in response to John Mcewen

I have found the solution. Clearly the 8.4 update installed a new folder in ITunes called "Ringtones" as opposed to the existing folder called "Ringtone". It then proceeded to ignore the old folder and focused on the empty new folder. Moving the existing tones to the new folder "adding" the whole new ITunes folder again (to install these into the software) and then syncing the phone - lo and behold I have my ringtones back.

But why oh why oh why does Apple put us through this? Do they really know how much they tick off their loyal customers - or just how fickly those customers can be. Ask Nokia!

Jul 3, 2015 8:33 AM in response to John Mcewen

I'm not sure about yours, but installing the latest version of iTunes and updating my iPhone and my iPad to iOS 8.4 did not create a new folder in my iTunes folder called Ringtones. I still have my original folder, but it is actually called Tones, just like the folder listing in iTunes.

Do you have your iTunes set to let iTunes keep your media folder organized? I do that, and I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but I've not witnessed the behavior that you describe where a new folder was created.

Jul 5, 2015 3:36 AM in response to turingtest2

I have checked and I do have a folder called "Tones" with all my ringtones it. But clearly updating has caused this to be ignored. I do not have folder called "music" all my music is in separate artists' folders, as happens when you get iTunes to "organise" your folders.

I am happy I have found the solution. If somehow it doesn't make sense to others then so be it - a lot of what goes on in ITunes and Apple products generally rarely makes sense to me. For example, I will be starting a new thread on just one of these - this requirement to "trust" every time I connect my apple equipment to the same PC several times a day.

Jul 14, 2015 2:49 AM in response to John Mcewen

I have a similar, but subtly different problem. I've an iPhone 5S updated to IOS8.4. It still plays the ringtones. However, iTunes (version 12.2.1.16 (updated today - July 13th) can't find them. They've been deleted completely from my Macbook Air (2013 - OS X 10.10.4). Searching for them finds nothing. In the Music folder there is now no iTunes folder, and no folder marked Tones or Ringtones. Just completely vanished.

I can probably retrieve these from TimeMachine (when I get home) but why were they deleted? Because I didn't buy them from the iTunes Store? I created my own from my own music (yes, I play several instruments).

Infuriating and it would appear Apple up to their old tricks again as they've done this before in previous updates.

After update 8.4 where are my ringtones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.