Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install, Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer

I just bought a macbook pro, 17" dual core intel w/2 gigs RAM, 149GB hd space, firmware completely up to date, on an estate sale. Disk utility says the hd is fine.

Went through all the steps to erase/repartition the hard drive. 1 partition, GUID, extended w/journaling.

I have snow leopard family pack with one or two licenses remaining. Trying to do clean install, keep getting message, "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer. Spoke with tech services, they confirmed that computer hardware is completely compatible with snow leopard.

I NEED HELP GETTING THIS THING UP AND RUNNING! Just trying to do a simple upgrade from OS X 10.4.11 that came on the notebook to snow leopard so I can do one or two more software updates.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6), Clean install failing

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 2:58 PM

PS - I zeroed out the partition as well.

12 replies

Jul 4, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes. Because the hard drive has been wiped, zeroed out, and repartitioned, there were no errors of any sort. Clean bill of health.

I am almost at a point of picking up a firewire cable, hooking up to my imac (running OS X Lion), and seeing if I can somehow get things started that way, although at this point I'm not holding my breath. I'm afraid a trip to the genius bar is coming up.

This was, according to Apple techs on the phone, supposed to be a simple operation. Follow the instructions to wipe the hard drive, then do a fresh install of SL.

Clean install, Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.