Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random re-springs ever since 8.3

Ever since upgrading to 8.3 (and now 8.4) my 6 has been randomly re-springing for no specific reason. Anyone know what the main cause of a "respring" is? This is different from a complete crash/reboot. My screen goes blank for a split second, I see the Apple logo briefly, then i'm back at my lock screen. Whereas a complete crash and restart would take much longer. I've received mixed responses on this. Some say it's firmware related and others say it's hardware.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:43 PM

8 replies

Jul 2, 2015 1:52 PM in response to modular747

Many of my friends face the same problem since 8.3 was installed.

I'm very sorry to hear that the issue continues in 8.4.

Option "4. Restore to factory settings as a new phone, without restoring a backup."

is ridiculous as this would mean to spend several hours of setting up each app with data and config.

Fortunately the problem happens may be once a week now, so I'm still able to live with this software bug.

Jul 2, 2015 2:05 PM in response to fuchsvonanzing

fuchsvonanzing wrote:

Many of my friends face the same problem since 8.3 was installed.

I'm very sorry to hear that the issue continues in 8.4.

Option "4. Restore to factory settings as a new phone, without restoring a backup."

is ridiculous as this would mean to spend several hours of setting up each app with data and config.

Fortunately the problem happens may be once a week now, so I'm still able to live with this software bug.

If it fixes the problem it means that you have corrupt data on your phone in one or more apps. If it doesn't fix the problem it means that your phone has a hardware problem. If it DOES fix the phone simply restore your backup, and you will be where you started. You won't have lost anything.

The alternative is to live with the springboard crashes.

BTW, if your phone is (or WAS) jailbroken, that is the cause of the crashes.

Jul 2, 2015 2:09 PM in response to fuchsvonanzing

This has been a rare occurrence with all iOS 8 versions - no increase with 8.3 or 8.4, and in fact was most frequent with 8.0.x. It's fairly frequent in phones which were jailbroken at some point.

"Ridiculous" - not if that's what you need to do because your phone data and backup are corrupted. Should't take "hours" and would be ridiculous not to if all else fails.

Jul 2, 2015 2:45 PM in response to fuchsvonanzing

It hasn't happened on any of my 4 devices running iOS 8.3 OR iOS 8.4. Do all of yours have the same apps, perhaps? One of them buggy? Have you tried clearing RAM? Occasionally it can become corrupted.

Try the following:

• Press HOME once, then double-press it to bring up the Quick Launch screen
  • Kill each app you see by flicking its screen image up. Continue until all apps except the Home screen are closed
  • Press HOME once, and wait about 2 minutes for all apps to finish shutting down
  • Turn the phone off by holding the SLEEP button until Slide to power off appears, and do so
  • Wait another minute for it to finish the shutdown
  • Turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears.

Random re-springs ever since 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.