Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOs 8.4 Photos no longer upload to iCloud

I have an iPhone 6 and use iCloud Photo Library. Since upgrading to iOS 8.4 this morning photos no longer upload to iCloud. The Photos app just says "10 photos to upload", then "Uploading 10 photos", then back to "10 photos to upload" and then "Uploading 10 photos" — it's stuck in this loop. I've given it many hours now and no photos since the update to iOS 8.4 have uploaded.

I've tried fully quitting the Photos app and re-running it, no luck.

I've tried rebooting the phone, no luck.

I've tried force-rebooting the phone, no luck.

I'm now kicking myself for upgrading while on holiday.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour? Any ideas how to fix it?

Cheer

Dave

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, 128GB

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 12:37 PM

Hey there Dave Sag,

I understand that you are seeing an issue with your iCloud Photo Library where your photos will not upload. You may want to review your available iCloud storage, since this would be one explanation for the behavior you are seeing:

What happens when I go over my iCloud storage limit?

If you exceed your iCloud storage limit, photos and videos won't upload to iCloud and your library won’t stay up to date across your devices. To continue using iCloud Photo Library, upgrade your storage plan or reduce the amount of storage that you're using.

Reduce the storage for iCloud Photo Library by deleting photos and videos you don't want to keep from your iOS devices or on iCloud.com. Your device will immediately remove any photos and videos you delete and they won't be available for recovery in your Recently Deleted album.

If you're out of storage, your devices won't back up to iCloud, and new photos, videos, documents, and data won't stay up to date.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204570

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 12:37 PM in response to Dave Sag

Hey there Dave Sag,

I understand that you are seeing an issue with your iCloud Photo Library where your photos will not upload. You may want to review your available iCloud storage, since this would be one explanation for the behavior you are seeing:

What happens when I go over my iCloud storage limit?

If you exceed your iCloud storage limit, photos and videos won't upload to iCloud and your library won’t stay up to date across your devices. To continue using iCloud Photo Library, upgrade your storage plan or reduce the amount of storage that you're using.

Reduce the storage for iCloud Photo Library by deleting photos and videos you don't want to keep from your iOS devices or on iCloud.com. Your device will immediately remove any photos and videos you delete and they won't be available for recovery in your Recently Deleted album.

If you're out of storage, your devices won't back up to iCloud, and new photos, videos, documents, and data won't stay up to date.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204570

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

Jul 4, 2015 1:24 PM in response to braden85

Thanks Braden. I've got around 200GB of free space in iCloud.

I've tried turning iCloud Photo Library off on my iPhone and pushing the photos over to the Photos app on my Mac and uploading them from Photos on my Mac and that works But its not ideal.

Turning iCloud Photo Library back on again starts pushing all my photos back up to iCloud from my phone but got stuck again after a day or so.

I've turned it off again for now and hopefully there'll be an 8.4.1 release that fixes the issue.

Jul 4, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Dave Sag

You know, I hadn't made the connection to the 8.4 upgrade, but now that I think about it, that seems to be when it happened. Sigh. Hopefully 8.4.1 will be out soon to fix it. At least things are getting backed up to Google Photos in the meantime (which is actually generally what Photos should have been... but of course you lose the tight integration with iOS/OSX.

Jul 4, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Dave Sag

I started having this problem right before updating to iOS 8.4. (I had 8.3.) I had never really understood how iCloud Photo Library Worked; I did some research and got things loading, and it stopped, on both my iPhone and my iPad, and the progress bar went away. Tried all the obvious stuff (like restarting apps and devices), to no avail.

When I got on the discussion boards to figure it out, I saw pages and pages going back to iOS 8.1. People having this issue, no solid solution. I hoped that updating to 8.4 would address the issue--surely Apple wouldn't let a problem exist through three updates without fixing it! But it seems, in fact, that's what Apple has done. They've ignored all the posts on this issue, and just send everybody the iCloud Photo Library FAQ as though that takes care of it. It never does.

Jul 6, 2015 5:10 PM in response to Dave Sag

Same issue here. Have had this issue before, but removing iCloud Photo Storage and adding it back would (painfully) fix it. Now it just won't work ever since the 8.4 update, no matter what fix I try.

It really is a pain that a feature that is supposed to be transparent to users (has no upload button, no pause button, no resync button) works so inconsistently.

Jul 10, 2015 2:08 AM in response to Dave Sag

I have the same problem, but already since iOS 8.0. Ever so often the phone just stops uploading, with no explanation. The solution – which is not a solution to me – is disabling photo library and then enable it again. That process takes a lot of time, and the last time I did that it removed all my albums.

It's a buggy process that has never worked well for me. Like so many ideas Apples pushes out lately, the idea is good but the implementation is incredibly buggy and unreliable.

Jul 11, 2015 6:32 AM in response to Dave Sag

I Have iPhones 6 Plus on IOS 8.4 I upgraded yesterday and everything went fine.

however today I was trying to browse the web I found the Internet is very slow, after diving around I realized that the iCloud Photo Sharing is uploading around a 1000 picture.

THe the problem is it is stuck and it doesn't finding no matter how long I keep the iPhone connected to the wifi, I also don't understand if it's stuck! Then why the Internet is so slow!

anybody tried anything that worked!!

User uploaded file

Jul 30, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Dave Sag

I've ffinally fixed this. Here's how I did it.

I turned iCloud Photot Libray off on my phone, and then when I got home from my holiday and back on a decent internet connection I turned it back on.

Then I waited. For days. I have around 46,000 photos in my library so this wait was not unexpected.

I left the phone at home, plugged in, and connected to the wifi for 3 days.

After several false starts (claiming it was down to 400 photos left to upload, then claiming it was up to 16,000 photos left to upload) it finally synced.

It uses all the available bandwidth in the house to do this too. So don't expect to be able to do anything else online for those few days.

But it finally worked. And now continues to work seamlessly.

iOs 8.4 Photos no longer upload to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.