Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8.4 Siri issue

I updated my iPhone 6 to IOS 8.4. Now Siri will not open any music from the music app. When I ask, for example, "Play artist James Bay", I get a reply "Here are some popular songs by James Bay" but the music does not start. Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:06 PM

15 replies

Jul 2, 2015 1:05 PM in response to stephenfrommadison

"Hard reset" - I assume you mean phone reset (pressing both home and lock buttons until the Apple logo appears)>

Try, as needed:

1. Disable are re-enable Siri

2. Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

3. Restore to factory settings, also restoring a backup

4. Restore to factory settings as a new phone, without restoring a backup.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Jul 26, 2015 9:59 AM in response to modular747

I understand Siri requires data...data is on for Siri and Siri works. The issue happens when I go to Settings - Cellular Data and toggle off Music. Cellular data is still on for Siri (and Siri works), but the Music app is not using cellular data.

As I stated, with these settings, Siri works and will play my playlist but not artist or individual songs.

Jul 26, 2015 12:21 PM in response to stephenfrommadison

You stated everything works when WiFi is on. Cellular data is used only when WiFi is unavailable. Why do you think the music is using cellular data?

How do you know that the songs are being streamed at all? Do you have iTunes Match or iCloud music enabled in settings? Siri contacts your iTunes account and iCloud to determine what's in your library, and still can play what's locally in your phone, if available.

Jul 26, 2015 12:30 PM in response to modular747

I turned off the wifi and enabled cellular data for music. Up to this point I had not used cellular data for music. When I finished listening and went to turn off cellular data for music, it showed 15.1 MB used.

As I stated earlier, Siri will play my playlist without wifi or cellular data enabled for music; just not songs or artist when she is asked.

IOS 8.4 Siri issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.