Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I login to facetime or messages with my apple id?

everything else works fine with my apple ID and password, but there seems to be no way at all that I can log onto Messages or facetime... When i fill in my ID and password and click on Login, it tries to login but after a few seconds it stops without any sort of warning or error... Please help?

iPad Mini 2 of the last generation btw.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:19 PM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2015 10:27 AM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe

I read the article, but unfortunately it's not relevant for my problem:

- I am connected to WiFi, because every other app is working with the WiFi-connection.

- I cannot turn off messages or Facetime because I was never able to log in at the first time, so there is no button available to turn it off.

- I restart my iPad every few days, so a restart will not resolve my issue.

Other solutions are welcome!

Greets

Robby

Jul 7, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Robby_Vww

Hi Robby_Vww,

Thank you for replying again. Do you have two-step verification set up by chance with your Apple ID? If so, you may need to use an app-specific password to sign in to Messages and FaceTime. The attached article below explains how to set up an app-specific password if you are using two-step verification.

Get help signing in to Messages, FaceTime, and Game Center - Apple Support

Set up an app-specific password

If you're using two-step verification, you might need to sign in to Messages, FaceTime, or Game Center with an app-specific password. Use the steps below to generate an app-specific password:

1. Go to My Apple ID.
  2. Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in.
  3. Select Password and Security.
  4. Click Generate an App-Specific Password and follow the steps on your screen.

After you generate your app-specific password, type it into the Apple ID password field in iMessage, FaceTime, or Game Center settings.

If you are not using two-step verification, I would suggest reading over and working through the other suggestions in the article as well. Please let me know if the issue continues.

Best regards,

Joe

Jul 7, 2015 12:32 PM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe

The two-step verification was never enabled, so I'm not going to enable it at the moment.

Internet connection is still active (getting updates from Facebook, Instagram, mail,...).

Apple ID + password still working (can install new apps from the App Store).

Changed my date & time settings to automatic and restarted my iPad.

Still the same problem.

But then. I tried to log in using the name "Robby_Vww". Then I got an error message that said: please fill in the apple ID password for "Robby_Vww". Of course I don't have one, so I cancelled the message. So I tried my own Apple ID again and I was able to log in for the first time. The app asked to choose which email address I would like to connect to FaceTime (there was only one option), so I clicked "Next". Then it starts verifying my email address and all of a sudden I'm logged out again, unable to log back in...

I repeated the whole process, but once the app starts verifying, it logs me out again...

I tried the same thing the app "Messages". Same problems occur. I use a non-existing Apple ID, cancel login, try my own ID, can log in but need to verify. Once I try to verify, I'm logged out again...

Greetings

Robby

Aug 10, 2015 8:39 AM in response to PR@PT

FYI, I figured out a solution...

Not suitable for everyone, but faster than contacting support (which requires apple care, at least in my country) as it seems to have been the only solution for a few people...

Problem: trying to setup imessage and Facetime on an iPad 4, for my mother, who used to have an old iPad 1 (which doesn't support Facetime):

1) changed the email address associated with her account to an unused email of mine, and then verifying it.

2) Created a new account with the "old" email address, verifying it again.

3) Login in iPad, imessage and Facetime fully working

Obviously, this was an option as the original account didn't have any purchases that were necessary to keep...

Ridiculous, but all working now.

Just to be clear:

I was also getting the wheel spinning when trying to login to imessage and Facetime. No errors would be displayed.

Used every recommendation that is mentioned in the forums: date/time set automatically, reset networks setting, reset whole iPad, 8.8.8.8 DNS...

My mum's account was verified, and worked perfectly in iCloud, app store, etc...

To further prove that the problem was with the account and not the device:

- Using my account in the iPad that gave her trouble, worked perfectly

- Using my mums account in my iPad would not

Hope this helps some people! Good luck!

Why can't I login to facetime or messages with my apple id?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.