Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening FCP 7 project in Final Cut Pro X

I am considering transitioning from FCP 7 to Final Cut X.

I'm in the middle of editing a project that has been delayed. It's a project I have been working on in FCP 7.

I am about to start two new projects. A good opportunity - I thought - to transition to new editing software. But here is the snag:

FC X requires OS 10.10.2 or later.

I am currently running 10.8.5

If I update the OS to 10.10.2, then FCP 7 won't run. And as noted above, I am in a middle of a project that I have already started in 7.

I would love to hear stories of users who have tried opening an old project from 7 in X. It would seem that the only way I can move on to X is if I can open the old, unfinished project that was started in 7, in X.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:57 PM

First off, I have used 7toX multiple times – although not lately because I haven't had the need to revisit a FCP 7 for a while now. I Thought it did a very good job in transporting nearly all of my sequences to X, although there are some effects (like re-timing) that don't make the trip.

Second, I'm not sure you need to finish in X. Each time a new version of OS X is released, I hold my breath and install FCP 7. So far, I'm happy to say it continues to work. What no longer works is Motion and the Qmaster preference pane.

Add a partition your drive if you can do it without erasing your data and install Yosemite so you have a dual boot system. (If you can't, partition without causing havoc, use a separate drive for this purpose. Then dust off the FCS install disks and give it a try, You should be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

Russ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Pamela Glintenkamp

First off, I have used 7toX multiple times – although not lately because I haven't had the need to revisit a FCP 7 for a while now. I Thought it did a very good job in transporting nearly all of my sequences to X, although there are some effects (like re-timing) that don't make the trip.

Second, I'm not sure you need to finish in X. Each time a new version of OS X is released, I hold my breath and install FCP 7. So far, I'm happy to say it continues to work. What no longer works is Motion and the Qmaster preference pane.

Add a partition your drive if you can do it without erasing your data and install Yosemite so you have a dual boot system. (If you can't, partition without causing havoc, use a separate drive for this purpose. Then dust off the FCS install disks and give it a try, You should be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

Russ

Jul 2, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Russ H

This may not help you at all but I'd suggest you locate and purchase an older Mac to hold your FCP7 separately from your FCPX work. The logic behind that suggestion is not explained easily if it's not immediately clear to you.

I have Yosemite running on my Olde MacPro tower. FCP Suite is there (and so are all of the newest FCPX components) and they all work together on the same OS and drives, no partitions required. FCPX runs beautifully on our new MacPro cylinders, too, but keeping the old machines is comforting because just when we think we're ready to mothball the old systems, someone comes by the shop and needs us to cough up some ancient production. We did the same thing when we moved from Media 100 to FCP1; we kept the old systems around for about two years.

I do not use 7toX but I've heard good things about it. It may not be obvious from Russ's post but this is the only reliable way to move a 7 project into X. You cannot open an FCP7 directly in FCPX at all. They are completely different applications sharing only a few words of the title.

Stick with 7 to complete your project and then start to move yourself over to FCPX. The transition is NOT fun. It will take a long time and frustrate you.

Opening FCP 7 project in Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.