Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie menu items unavailable

I have exported some movies taken on an iPhone 6 in iOS 8.3 from my Mac Mini's Photos app to the Movies folder, then added them as clips to a project in iMovie on the Mini.

But when trying to edit, most of the basic menu functions like Trim to Selection, Detach Audio, Clip Trimmer, Join Clips, etc. are grayed out! How can I get these enabled?

OS 10.10.4, iMovie 10.0.9, both updated yesterday.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:47 PM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 9:39 AM in response to GeeD

For me, definitely not trivial!

So started over trying to recreate. I started a new event default-named 7-3-15. On that event I selected New Movie. Imported 7 clips. So now I have an upper pane which is a large viewer. a middle pane with a bigger Clapper icon and to the right of that My Movie, Jul 3, 2015, 10:27 AM, and small film strip icon saying 0s.

Under that is another pane with all the clips. When I click and drag in one of the clips, the menu items I mentioned like Trim to Selection or Detach Audio are grayed out.

Although ironically I can go to the row of icons in the top pain and change the audio level a selected clip, crop it, video effect, white balance, etc. Only those important menu items are unavailable.

I previously have worked with earlier versions of iMovie (last fall) so maybe there have been changes? Kinda stumped!

Jul 4, 2015 1:00 AM in response to Marc Stergionis1

It is as I suspected. Below the viewer is the event pane, not a project timeline. This just shows the imported clips, you can't edit in it. You have to do this in a project. If you click on 'All projects" under libraries you will see your projects. Double click on one to open it. If you have no projects you have to create one. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/move6ccb3330 for details.

Geoff.

iMovie menu items unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.