Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store freezes after update

I am having similar problems with the App Store after 10.10.4 update.

Both my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro updated fine, but after the update the App Store shows the checking for updates spinner and it never goes away. Eventually the finder becomes unresponsive.

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:56 PM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Victor Stapf

Try installing this combo update over the top of your current installation of 10.10.4.

It's designed to update prior versions of OS X to 10.10.4 and often can fix issues with installations that are just using the delta update available from software update through the Mac App Store.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

Jul 2, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Dah•veed

I have the same problem with the App Store as of yesterday. I have an update of IMovie. When updating the spinner continues on the IMovie update and continues searching for other updates. When I try getting out of the App Store...it freezes and cannot force quit therefore have to restart or shut down my computer. I have tried trouble shooting. Asked the question and was told to install the "combo update of 10.10.4".

It has been now over an hour and a half of this 10.10.4 install. Now it's telling me it "failed".

I now see that those people with OS X 10.10.4 are having the same problem with updating and the App Store and I have the OS X 10.10.3.

Something has to be wrong with the App Store and their updates and not our computers!

MacBook Pro 2011, OS X 10.10.3

Jul 2, 2015 4:28 PM in response to Victor Stapf

To Update

After countless of time invested in trouble shooting....about an hour or so ago I received updates on 10.10.4 and I Tunes 12.2 from the App Store. Those were automatically installed and resolved yesterday's IMovie update problem, endless spinning, and freezing problem.

And reading Philippians 4:5-6 and 19 in the Bible made the difference!

Jul 2, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Victor Stapf

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files used by system processes. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders/zz

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a subfolder named "zz" selected. Move that subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

App Store freezes after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.