Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail mailboxes not following rules..Maverics

In Apple mail, after some years, the "rules" that shunt mail into designated mailboxes, has occasionally diverted mail to the wrong mailboxes.

Personal mail ends up in the trash or Junk sometimes, and so on. Been going like this for a while.

I double checked the settings, cleared and re established them to no avail.

Tried dragging Mail off the dock and then replacing it from Applications to no avail either.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Appreciated...pete

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 2:18 PM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2015 11:23 AM in response to peter fels

OK....Here's what worked. Thanks to John White in Wash State.

Hello there…..

To your mail program. I would suggest deleting all of his mail rules. using the mail program, go to mail—preferences—rules and that is where you set up or delete all your rules for where you want mail to go or act. Delete some or all of your mail rules and quit the app and restart mail….then go back there and set up new mail rules. This may take care of the issue.

There is no way to just install mail alone to the system and removing it from the dock is just removing a link to the app in the application folder. And you cannot just drag the mail app in the applications folder to the trash and delete it cause it is in all kinds of other folders on your system and other locations. There are apps that can find all these files and delete it but i do not believe that you are in such a bad situation that this is necessary. I would be surprised if the first step suggested did not take care of this situation.

After removing all of his mail rules as suggested above, try getting mail and see if it all goes to the general location where all mail defaults to, the inbox. If all mail is now going there then it was just some bad rules in the Rules file and removing them and redoing them will fix it all.

apple mail mailboxes not following rules..Maverics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.