Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 was working fine for the first day or so, but is now not running on my iMac (I get the perpetual spinning multicolor wheel). Anyone else experiencing this, or know how to fix it?

iTunes 12.2 was working fine for the first day or so, but is now not running on my iMac (I get the perpetual spinning multicolor wheel). Anyone else experiencing this, or know how to fix it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 2:25 PM

Try starting iTunes in its own safe mode by holding down Option & Command as you launch it. See iTunes: Troubleshooting issues with third-party iTunes plug-ins - Apple Support. Sometimes doing this once can allow iTunes to start normally thereafter.

tt2

7 replies

Jul 2, 2015 3:00 PM in response to turingtest2

This enabled me to open iTunes without it freezing. However, it doesn't appear to have resolved the issue permanently, since I logged out and logged in again normally (i.e., not in safe mode), but it still froze. Does this mean I need to always launch in safe mode, or is Apple aware of this issue and working on a fix? Anyone know? Also, when I opened in safe mode, I could play several playlists, but not the Beats 1 station -- I clicked on "Listen Now" but nothing happened. I also tried launching it as one of my recently played stations, but it also wouldn't work.

Jul 3, 2015 3:10 AM in response to turingtest2

I have the same problem. The Option & Command in secure start up don't do anything at all. What I see, is that itunes needs all the RAM Space and start after 32GB to compress the Details up to 72GB and that shut down all programs because there is no RAM Space available anymore. Yes I maybe have more then 25000 Songs (4000 from My CD days) but most of them I bought in iTunes. And yes I use Itunes Match. There was no problem still this morning even after the update. I have the newest iMac with the disgust configuration. But I have to say I never had so many Problems with Macs like I have with this generation. And I use Macs since the old days. +25Years. In the moment I'm a very unhappy MAC User And I use words in the moment I can't write in the forum. But This Update is Not just BETA it's under all level I saw in the last years. Seems that nobody at Apple testing anymore, since Steve is gone. It's time for a change in the Software department. So what are my next steps. In the moment I save all my Informations, file etc, and after thats done I will make a full setup of the machine.

I hope it works, a other day I should billing Apple for the waste of my time. I keep you informed, it the full setup solved there problem.

Jul 4, 2015 1:51 AM in response to e2783

OK people, I have the take by my latest statement. After I setup my iMac totally new, Just apple Software on it, not one single 3rd party app, I was so happy to have access again to my tvseires an, music, etc. I even subscripted to the new service. I was happy. and from one moment to the other the same problem like yesterday. I big colored ball runs and runs and I have no access to my bought stuff. and Now I take the words in to my mouth I never should say. "Apple you pi** me off". Witch person at apple things it's nice to keep there users in the dark side. Apple you have a problem, so say it. Say it to the community, so that we don't try to solve the problem on our on and waste our time for nothing. It's just a thing of respect. Say the truth and we old apple users wait still the problem is solved. That's ok. But don't think we are all stupid.

Jul 4, 2015 12:02 PM in response to e2783

I had the same problem with 12.2 and Apple Music, plus the total mess-up of my library, plus disappeared songs, plus replaced (censored?) album artwork. And then I saw that all my songs suddenly had DRM. Totally unacceptable and I downgraded to 12.1.

I was a very happy Apple user too from 1986 onwards. In the last 6 years I've become extremely frustrated with Apple, especially Mac and OSX + apps. And with yosemity and a totally destroyed iTunes, iWorks, etc. I simply don't trust them anymore. 10 months into yosemity and they still haven't got wifi/bluetooth and stability under control. It's absurd.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.