Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new version of iTunes freezes whenever I try to add music to the library or if I try to change the title of a song in any album. Can anyone tell me what is happening here? I would like to revert to the older version which was working properly.

I just upgraded to OS X 10.4.4 and iTunes 12.2 and am now having a problem with iTunes. The program freezes when I try to add new albums to it

and I am at a loss as to how to fix this. How can I revert to the previous version of iTunes which was working perfectly before or, how can I revert to OS X 10.4.3?

Any help would be appreciated. I have a 2011 27" iMac with 16GB of ram and a 1TB HDD.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:23 PM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 3:46 PM in response to jamerican7810

I too, am having this problem with iTunes. I get the spinning beach ball when adding music and editing the tags for albums or songs. It takes 2-4 minutes for the beach ball to go away, but the edit is complete.

I have close to 100,000 songs/videos in my library, but this wasn't an issue before I updated to iTunes 12.2 today.

I have a late 2013 iMac 27", 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5 with 16GB ram, OS X 10.10.4. My iTunes library is on a LaCie 3TB Thunderbolt drive.

I tried booting in "safe mode", but it didn't help with the problem.

Thank you for any help.

Jul 2, 2015 4:27 PM in response to jamerican7810

I'm having a similar problem since updating to iTunes 12.2.0.145

A few freezes but mostly the spinning Beach Ball of Doom (SBBOD). Which is happening almost all of the time.

The program takes 20 sec. to over 60 sec. to a mouse click. It was not happening under the previous version.

It is not happening to other programs the are running Safari, Mail or Finder etc.

I have an older iMac iMac (24-inch, Early 2008) 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm running the iTunes library on WD My Book 3Tb as it's too large to fit on the Startup disk(it has been on Ext HD's for many years.

Startup disk has 84Gb of spare space.

I have also tried quitting all other programs as well (no affect )

Jul 2, 2015 4:34 PM in response to jamerican7810

I am having the same problem with my the new Yosemite and iTunes 12.2. Already resorting to an external software to manage most of the tags before importing to my library. It's getting more and more complicated to use iTunes. And I am even using my internal hard drive despite having nearly 30k songs.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

The new version of iTunes freezes whenever I try to add music to the library or if I try to change the title of a song in any album. Can anyone tell me what is happening here? I would like to revert to the older version which was working properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.