Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos stopped uploading to iCloud Photos

I am trying to upload ~10,000 photos from my iPhoto library (which is on an external hard disk) to iCloud Photos. Over the course of 9 hours, ~2,000 photos were uploaded, and then it stopped with 7,573 photos left to upload. I tried quitting Photos and restarting several times, but it's still stuck on that number. I then unchecked "Photos" in the iCloud settings to try to unsync and then resync, and got the following error message:

User uploaded file

I have plenty of iCloud space left and my internet connection is intact. The iPhoto library was created when I was on Mavericks, and I am now on Yosemite. Can someone please help?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2, null

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 4:07 PM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2015 3:28 AM in response to bennac

Be sure, to select the correct Photos Library when you open Photos.Hold down the alt/options key while launching Photos. Keep holding down the key until you are seeing the library chooser panel. Select your Photos lilibrary from that panel.

If your Photos Library is on an external disk, that is not correctly formatted, you cannot enable iCloud Photo Library for that library. The filesystem on that drive needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Also, check if the library has been enabled as your System Photos Library in the Photos Preferences > General.

The error message may be misleading. Only the System Photos Library can be used for iCloud.

Photos stopped uploading to iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.