Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my playlists with itunes 12.2.0.145. Is it possible to arrange this?

I have years of work organizing my playlists and with the last update of itunes my playlists do not appear! How is this possible? How can I fix this? Can anyone please help me?

iMac, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:01 PM

33 replies

Jul 2, 2015 3:14 PM in response to paulovng

ASC user turingtest2 help document: Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6561

Here are the two main methods. Method 1 does revert your library list (but not media files) to the state it was at the time of the last iTunes update but is probably better if you just updated the iTunes application and are having problems. Method 2 is best if you have not recently updated iTunes but are willing to accept loss of some metadata.

1) iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201561 - These instructions have you open iTunes with an old iTunes library file archived at the time you last updated iTunes. This will revert your library content list and appearance to what it was at the date of the last iTunes update. Newer media not in this list will still be in your media folder and you can re-add these as new items by dragging your media folders to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder.

A method 1 shortcut that seems to work with more recent iTunes versions - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7105888?answerId=28484935022#28484935022 - However, I have not tried this and would want to make sure it didn't start creating additional files and folders inside the "previous libraries" folder that doing things the official way would avoid.

2) If you don't see your content after updating iTunes - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203225 - These instructions use a trimmed-down version of your library file to rebuild your primary library file. You lose some metadata (ratings, play count, date added) but the listing should be fairly up to date.

Jul 2, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Limnos

Yes Limnos. I should have a backup, but two weeks ago I had a problem with my external disks and I didn't expect to have a problem like this with an itunes update!.... 😟

One more bad work from Apple! I'm really disappointed! Considering that probably I'll lost my library, I hope to find an alternative to iTunes, as Apple is obligating me to do with Aperture and how did some years ago with iweb...

So unhappy with Apple!!!

Jul 2, 2015 3:46 PM in response to paulovng

When iTunes updates any of its files it appears to write out a new temporary copy, then delete the original, then rename the temporary copy so that it takes its place. The .xml file is provided for third party software to use. It doesn't really matter, iTunes will rebuild the file when it runs.

Take a look at Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. If iTunes opens at all then there must be an active .itl file. You can find out where this is by option-starting-iTunes. As part of the upgrade to iTunes 12 your old pre-upgrade library would have been archived in a Previous iTunes Libraries folder and used to construct a new library file compatible with the new release of the software. If this process is interrupted the library may be incomplete after the upgrade. Restoring the previous library file in the way suggested should make the upgrade process happen again, hopefully successfully this time.

tt2

Jul 2, 2015 3:49 PM in response to paulovng

Each computer is different. If you do not have good backups stay away from any kind of radical changes to your computer. It is impossible for software programmers to test under the configurations of every single computer in the world. Although you see many problem posts on this forum it is like being in a hospital on the first snowy day of the year. More than the usual number of incidents but there's still millions of people out there who handled it without issue.

All that said, do you have any other copies of a .itl file? How about in Previous libraries?

Jul 3, 2015 7:06 AM in response to turingtest2

After some hours of trying to get my playlists again, it seems I lost everything! To start reorganizing again my playlists I just know that I don't want to use itunes again! Apple is becoming a strange and not credible company when we are talking in software! I have so many exemples that I has been moving into new software not related to Apple. Can someone advice me a good app to organize and have my playlists well organized? I always wanted a good music player and organizer and not a music app with so many features and that is not able to maintain my playlist as I organized them during several years.... Suggestions?

I lost my playlists with itunes 12.2.0.145. Is it possible to arrange this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.