Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to download an update but the checkin box has a former Apple ID that I haven't used in over a year. The text is grayed out and I can't replace it with my real ID to download the update.

I am trying to download an update from the APP store on my Mac Book Pro running OS 10.10.4. The sign in box asking for my Apple IS has a grayed in former ID that I haven't used for over a year. I am unable to clear that text and place my most recent Apple ID in order to update the Garage Band update. Any ideas on how I can get out of this conundrum? Someone please help!

Thanks,

Dennis Golombek

mrgee59@mac.com

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:42 PM

You need to delete and redownload that application. For preinstalled ones, this may require contacting Apple.

(129559)

6 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Dennis Golombek1

App Store products can only be updated by signing in to the store with the same Apple ID that was originally used to download them. You can't update anything, including your own purchases, as long as there are pending updates linked to the other ID.

If you can't sign in with the other ID, you have to delete all the apps that are linked to it. If you don't know which apps those are, see below.

1. Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt=1

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

2. In the Finder, press command-F to open a search window, or select

File Find

from the menu bar. In the search window, select

Search: This Mac

from the row of tokens below the toolbar. Below that is a popup menu of search criteria, initially showing Kind. From that menu, select

Other...

A sheet will drop down. In that sheet, select

Raw Query

as the criterion, then click OK or press return.

Now there will be a text box to the right of the menu of search criteria. That's where you enter the raw search query. Click in that box and paste the text you copied earlier by pressing command-V.

3. The search window will now show all the App Store products that are installed. Compare those search results with the list of your purchases from the App Store. To see the complete list, you may need to unhide hidden purchases. If any apps were download from the App Store using other Apple ID accounts that you control, sign in to the store under each of those ID's and check the purchases.

4. At least one of the apps in the Spotlight search results is not among your purchases in the App Store. Delete each such item by following the instructions in the Apple Support article linked above.

5. Quit and relaunch the App Store.

If you find these instructions confusing, ask for an alternative method.

Trying to download an update but the checkin box has a former Apple ID that I haven't used in over a year. The text is grayed out and I can't replace it with my real ID to download the update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.