Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download old iTunes 12.1.2

I went to this site (Apple - Support - Downloads) to download the previous version of iTunes 12.1.2 but it isn't there. I can only find that version for windows. Am I missing it or something as I'd like to downgrade from 12.2.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:57 PM

Downgrading is a complicated process because an upgrade installs files all over the place as well as irreversibly modifying your library file. Do a web search and then sit back and read about 40 lines of instructions.

Apple removes links to all but keystone versions of iTunes such as those which are the last ones to run on certain lines of machines. Apple also does not like other sites hosting old copies of its files and will normally remove links to those sites when posted here. However, this link is for the now removed link that was removed when 12.2 was posted so it is an official Apple site: https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/031-19002.20150409.9C24E/iTunes12.1.2 .dmg

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 3:57 PM in response to RedOrion

Downgrading is a complicated process because an upgrade installs files all over the place as well as irreversibly modifying your library file. Do a web search and then sit back and read about 40 lines of instructions.

Apple removes links to all but keystone versions of iTunes such as those which are the last ones to run on certain lines of machines. Apple also does not like other sites hosting old copies of its files and will normally remove links to those sites when posted here. However, this link is for the now removed link that was removed when 12.2 was posted so it is an official Apple site: https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/031-19002.20150409.9C24E/iTunes12.1.2 .dmg

Jul 2, 2015 8:40 PM in response to RedOrion

I have almost every major version of iTunes going back to iTunes 2, and even to iTunes before it was iTunes (Soundjam) on archive disk! 😀 I figure some day I may be forced to upgrade from iTunes 7.5 to accommodate a newer computer but I don't want to go farther than I must so I want oldies but goodies like 10.7 and 11.4 and 12.0.1 on hand should the need arise. (Yes, I know Apple has some of those still linked -- for now.)

Jul 3, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

Thanks for saving the link to iTunes 12.1.2. I'm in the process of preparing an SSD to install in my MacBook Pro and did all the OS X 10.9.5 updates so that the SSD and my current drive would be running the same OS but then all of the problems with iTunes 12.2 started showing up. I have A LOT of music (150GB) and the last thing I need is for all of the organization I have on my old drive, which is running iTunes 12.1.2, scrambled.

Since I just installed the OS and iTunes 12.2 on the SSD but have not imported anything from the old iTunes library I'm guessing that I can just run AppZapper then re-install 12.1.2 and everything will be OK when I finally do the import?

Hope that makes sense!

- Bill -

Jul 3, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Bill O'Luanaigh

I don't know if AppZapper will do the job. My recollection is there is an involved process in downgrading iTunes because it installs things in many places. You can certainly remove the main application using the Terminal command provided by RedOrion but my recollection of where people were using just that was where people only needed to main application removed so they could re-install the same version. Components also get updated other locations and these won't work with older versions. You have to use a utility such as Pacifist to override the iTunes installer refusing to overwrite newer files. I strongly recommend you do a web search for one of the many, many sites with instructions on downgrading iTunes.

Download old iTunes 12.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.