Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iMac with a 3.2 GHZ intel Core i5 runs slower in CS5.5 running OSX 10.10.3

I just purchased an iMac 27-inch, processor 3.2 GHZ Intel Core i5 running Yosemite 10.10.3, I migrated my information from a Macbook Pro with a 2.66 GHz intel Core i7. The new iMac is running extremely slow and choppy in the Adobe CS5.5 InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I need direction of where to start trouble shooting. I ran a disk repair utility and it came back fine. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:04 PM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Kappy

I did the migration June 16th and the CS5.5 programs continue to slow down or freeze. I don't know if I should clear permissions and preferences. I've actually compared speeds with my old laptop and the laptop seems faster. I also thought about upgrading to Adobe Cloud versions but if the programs aren't faster and more stable in performance I'll be really disappointed.

I also reinstalled my Adobe Software after the migration.

Thanks for any input.

Jul 3, 2015 7:59 AM in response to kellyfromoshkosh

Kelly,

Is the performance issue only while running the Adobe software, if so then I would strongly recommend contacting either Adobe directly for support or visiting an Adobe forum.

However if the overall system is having issues, then please use your 90 days of complimentary support. Use the following link to begin contacting Apple directly: http://www.apple.com/support/complimentary/

Jul 3, 2015 11:09 AM in response to kellyfromoshkosh

How Much RAM is installed in this iMac?

Newer versions of OS X need more than 4 GBs of RAM just for the OS, alone.

Adobe apps need even more RAM than that!

Adobe apps need oodles of RAM AND plenty of hard drive scratch disk space (mainly for Photoshop), not just a fast CPU and GPU.

My advice would be to install, at least, 12-16 GBs of RAM.

My 2009 iMac has 16 GBs of RAM installed and sometimes Adobe Photoshop, alone, needs all the RAM it can get.

When using Adobe apps, try to not have the entire suite of apps open and running in the background concurrently, especially Photoshop which, in my opinion, should always be running with no other apps running in the background.

If you have the complete suite of apps all running together with other apps like your Mail and a web browser, for example, with not enough RAM installed, even with an I5 CPU, performance will suffer.

Jul 3, 2015 12:40 PM in response to kellyfromoshkosh

You need more than 8 GBs of RAM installed in the iMac.

Correct, compatible and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (http://www.macsales.com).

DO NOT purchase RAM from any local electronics/computer stores. They will NOT have the proper RAM for your Mac.

Macs are picky about the RAM they need to use and have installed.

I strongly suggest upgrading the RAM in the iMac to, at least 12 GBs of RAM and install purchase and install 16 GBs if you can afford to do so.

The OS is using a good chunk of the 8 GBs of RAM you have installed, now.

Any version of the Adobe apps need and use LOTS of RAM.

The more RAM you have installed in your Mac, the better your iMac will run, the better Adobe apps will run.

RAM is, relatively easy to install.

Check out the OWC of Crucial RAM sites for the correct RAM you need and check out any of their RAM installation videos.

Good Luck!

my iMac with a 3.2 GHZ intel Core i5 runs slower in CS5.5 running OSX 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.