Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac can see my scanner, but my scanner can't see my mac

Hi All

Need some help on an issue which seems localised to my MacBook Pro which is running OS X 10.10.4.

I just bought an Epson Workforce WF-3640, which I'm intending to use mostly as a scanner so I can stay as paperless as possible, and want the ability to scan documents and have them save to my Mac without me having to run back and forth between the Mac and the scanner every time I scan a new document.

It prints fine and I can scan from my MacBook Pro with no problems using Epson's software, runs very nicely.

BUT, when I go to use the scan to computer button from the Epson it can't see my Mac. It's not a big deal but it means if I want to scan, I have to walk to the scanner, load the documents, go back to my computer, load their software etc, instead of just hitting the scan button from the device and scanning batches of documents.

Everything works perfectly on my wife's late 2010 MacBook Air running 10.9.x, works like a dream.

The Espon people tell me that they're running 10.10.4 in the office with no problems, so this seems to be something very specific to my machine.

I've spent a few hours with Epson support including Tier 2. This is what we've tried:

1. Running test routines on all software - everything looks okay.
  2. Uninstalled and reinstalled all Epson software. No change.
  3. Rebooted all devices including router, several times. No change.
  4. Disabled the MacBook firewall and allowed software to be installed from any source under Security. No change.
  5. Reset factory settings on the Epson. No change.

Ideas?

Machine specs:

MacBook Pro - Mid 2012

OSX 10.10.4

2.9 GHz i7

Memory: 8GB

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Mid 2012, 2.9 GHz i7, 8GB memory

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:01 PM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 8:02 AM in response to deepfried2012

I am having the same problem with ALL of my scanners (Canon, Epson, HP) and the workaround I found was to open Preferences > Printers & Scanners and then select the scanner in the list. On the right side of the window, change the Scan Button action from Open Image Capture to Open scanner window. Image Capture can't find the scanners when launched from their scan button, but if you open Image Capture manually from Applications, it does see them all and it works. I'm assuming this is a bug and if I figure out how/where, I'll report it.

My mac can see my scanner, but my scanner can't see my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.