Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just discovered a problem with charging my iPhone last night. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it?

Last night, I charged my iPhone like I always do. It hit 100% and I let it trickle charge for another 30-40 minutes. But right when I took it off the charger, it dropped down to 99%. I thought my iPhone finally dropped a bit in battery capacity, but the battery seems to last as long as it usually does. I got about an hour and a half of usage before the battery went down to 98%. How do I fix this, do I have to do a soft reset after charging to get it to display 100%?

iPod touch, iOS 8

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 5:08 PM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 5:24 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

To expand a bit on Csound1's answer. Once your rechargeable device reaches 100% power, it stops charging. Once it stops charging, it may drain a couple of percent. Then, it starts charging again. So, it's possible for a device that's been plugged in for a long time to show as 99%. I don't think you really have a problem.

Essentially that is true, but it's a bit fancier. At somewhere around 70/80% the change current is reduced to avoid overheating as the battery nears capacity, then it keeps dropping until 95% is reached, then it's slow going for the last 5% and the charger will stop entirely at or near to 100%. Charging resumes around 95%, all numbers approx.

I also see no issues with the OP's phone.

I just discovered a problem with charging my iPhone last night. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.