Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups in Trash

Hello, earlier today I tried to delete the backups.backupdb file from my external hard drive, as I no longer want to use that HD for backups. I just want a fresh, clean HD. The backups folder is considerably large (about 850 GB), and it's now in my trash folder. I tried to delete it (using Yosemite on a Mac Pro, by the way), it told me there were locked files. I said remove unlocked files, and then it began to tell me that it couldn't other files because they were "in use". At that point, I panicked and cancelled the trash empty. I tried to drag the folder back onto the external, but no luck there – it tried to duplicate it rather than move it. Even if I had gotten it back onto the external, I still don't exactly know how I should proceed from there. What should be my next course of action? Kinda nervous to do anything else as I'm afraid it'll damage data on my primary Macintosh HD, which is almost a full TB. Please no "You shouldn't have done that" comments – only helpful solutions.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 5:26 PM

Trash – Can’t Empty or Move File To Trash

Trash – Empty When File is Locked or in Use

Try holding down the option button while trying to delete the Trash. If that doesn’t work, here is some more information.

Trash FAQ

Trash won’t empty

2 replies

Jul 3, 2015 5:32 PM in response to isaacman101

Once you've used a disk for Time Machine Backups it gets given a load of permissions and access control list settings that make it complicated to modify. The easiest way is to use Disk Utility to erase it. This will take care of the stuff in the Trash, which never actually moved from your external disk.

C.

Time Machine Backups in Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.