Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1.5 million duplicate songs in playlist, crashes iTunes can't delete it!

I upgraded to 12.2 latest version, added new songs to a playlist and then later, it added duplicates of the same song. Not just duplicates but millions of duplicates. Now iTunes crasjed when it tried to load them and I can not delete the playlist so I can use iTunes. What am I supposed to do? I tried to use Time machine but can't get rid of iTunes. Makes it useless to me.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 11:48 AM

I had this happen to me today as well. I had about 400K duplicates of a pair of songs both in iTunes and on my iPhone. What I did was to delete the playlist on my iPhone, close iTunes, then remove iTunes Library.itl from Music/iTunes. Then I copied the backup of this file stored in Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries back into Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl. When I started iTunes, I lost everything I'd done in between (4 days), but at least iTunes worked. It also remembered what I'd "recently added" and was able to put most of the songs back into a new playlist. I also made a copy of iTunes Music Library.xml, which I may investigate to see if I can extract a list of songs from that file.

Early 2013 13" MacBook Retina Display, Yosemite 10.10.4, iTunes 12.2.0.145

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Community User

I had this happen to me today as well. I had about 400K duplicates of a pair of songs both in iTunes and on my iPhone. What I did was to delete the playlist on my iPhone, close iTunes, then remove iTunes Library.itl from Music/iTunes. Then I copied the backup of this file stored in Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries back into Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl. When I started iTunes, I lost everything I'd done in between (4 days), but at least iTunes worked. It also remembered what I'd "recently added" and was able to put most of the songs back into a new playlist. I also made a copy of iTunes Music Library.xml, which I may investigate to see if I can extract a list of songs from that file.

Early 2013 13" MacBook Retina Display, Yosemite 10.10.4, iTunes 12.2.0.145

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Jul 5, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Greg Bayol

I had to use TIme Machine to restore an older iTunes music Library.. so I lose a few days worth of things- but it was fixed. Too afraid to use it againuntil it gets fixed.

1.5 million duplicate songs in playlist, crashes iTunes can't delete it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.