Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 camera and flashlight suddenly stopped working - still not working after iOS 8.4 update

A couple of days ago, the flashlight and camera on my iPhone 5 spontaneously stopped working. The phone has not suffered any damage or has been wet, the functions just simply didn't work anymore. One night I noticed the flashlight wouldn't work, and then the following day the camera wouldn't work.

I get the same symptoms as most of the issues I've read, with the black screen and the occasional ability to get the app to activate front camera. Front camera will work sometimes, and then if I can get the app to turn back around to the rear camera, I get a blurred image that then freezes. Other photography apps will access the front camera and will not turn to the back camera.

I can take a screen shot with no problems.

I have read the COUNTLESS other questions about this exact same thing. Here is a list of the things I have tried (in order):

- update to iOS 8.4 - no change, camera and flash still not working

- restore as new phone - no change (painful process as I hadn't backed up in three weeks, so I lost that)

- restore to previous backup - still no change

It is obvious to me that this is a software problem rather than a hardware problem, otherwise why would it be happening to so many of us exactly the same way?

Can an Apple tech please advise when a fix will be available for this?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4, Camera and Flashlight

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:32 PM

If you restored and setup as a new phone and the issue remains, it is not software related.

21 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:38 PM in response to bryan.vance

A valid point. But note in the iOS 8.4 update it mentions bug fixes for other things and NOT the camera/flashlight. Meaning, I think the software glitch hasn't been addressed in the new update.

For this to be happening the exact same way for so many users, it either is a iOS bug, or it is a hardware issue and Apple needs to do a recall of the affected phones.

If I had have dropped the phone or wet it or done anything damaging to it, fair enough. But it is always protected and safe and dry - there is absolutely NO reason for these things to spontaneously stop working!

Jul 19, 2015 6:55 AM in response to lemonsparkly

I have a iPhone 6-plus, I updated to IOS 8.4 on 7-15-2015, and on 7-16-2015 my rear camera and flash light stopped working. My front camera freezes if you use it a few times back to back. I contacted Apple and they, after having me restore through iTunes, (which I did 2 times), and having me reset settings on phone (which I did 3 times), they are sending me a new IPhone. Now, if this isn't a software issue which I truly believe it is, then obviously the software is shorting out the hardware (rear camera and flash) Either way, Apple should check their update for possible bugs. Also side note, I heard that Apple is about to release an update to 8.4 that is possibly addressing this issue with camera and flash. (8.4.1?). They might not own up to this problem if it leads to replacing (recalling) devices.

Jul 19, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Rameshnaidu

Who are you waiting for ?....................

Apple are not here this a user to user community

Apple neither read nor respond here

If you have restored as new and the Camera still does not work in the factory settings state it is a hardware issue

Take it to an Apple Retail store Genius bar or an Authorised Apple iPhone Service Provider

Aug 21, 2015 10:16 AM in response to lemonsparkly

Same issue here. I have this issue with my iPhone 5S that started almost immediately after I updated to ios 8.4.1. The screen is grayed out whenever I try to use the rear camera, and the flashlight button from control center doesn't even highlight when I tap it. As a test, I tried to use the flashlight app and got this error message when I tried to turn it on. Haven't changed anything at all other than the ios update, and this is really frustrating...User uploaded file

iPhone 5 camera and flashlight suddenly stopped working - still not working after iOS 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.