Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merging 2 iTunes 12 libraries

I lost my entire iTunes library (don't ask) and by the time I realized it, the backup had been overwritten (don't ask). I am now reimporting my entire CD collection into a new iTunes library. No biggie other than time, except that the iMac I'm using is quite old and the CD drive is getting a little flakey. I have some CDs that import on the first try, some on the 3rd or 4th try, and some that the CD drive can't read. Brilliant idea - I could spend $79 and buy a superdrive and use that. But to check to be sure that it's my drive, I took some CDs that couldn't be read and importing them on my MacBookPro. No problem reading them at all, so now I know the problem is the CD drive. Then I thought, why buy anything? I have home sharing turned on - I can just import the CD from the MacBookPro into the shared iTunes library that physically resides on my iMac.

Except that it doesn't appear that I can actually do this. I tried to see how I can merge 2 iTunes libraries and come up with nothing. I tried to see how I can move music from one library to another and come up with nothing.

Can anyone suggest anything? I don't really mind buying the superdrive if I really need to. The real solution is to replace my old iMac, but it needs to be a little more dead than just a flakey CD drive to make me do it.

Thanks for any help.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:01 PM

3 replies

merging 2 iTunes 12 libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.