Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any opinions on Seagate 1TB SSHD (ST1000LM014)? Might install on late 2011 MBP

My late 2011 Macbook Pro has been really messing with me even after clean installing Yosemite and then Mavericks (both keep crashing, blue screen, etc.). Now I'm looking at replacing the drive with this Seagate, but I'm a little spooked by all the Amazon reviewers saying that it died within months without warning. Tons of reviews say its greater than great, but it seems like a lot of them are from people who just started using it.

Would appreciate feedback from any long-time users of this drive. Alternative may be to go with 500gb Samsung SSD.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Late 2011

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 10:45 PM

15 replies

Jul 3, 2015 3:29 AM in response to iPhone App Index

I had a Seagate 1 TB SSHD in my late 2011 MBP and I found that it worked very satisfactorily. Boot time, shutdown time and often used applications were faster but it still is not an SSD. For the very modest price premium vs, a conventional HDD, I think it is worth it.

I have replaced it a few weeks ago with a 1 TB Crucial SSD, and that by comparison is very expensive. Speed is nice, but not essential in an avocational environment, so think carefully about the expenditure.

Ciao.

Jul 3, 2015 5:27 AM in response to iPhone App Index

" if my monitor starts getting buggy"

Also the shutdown issue.

I scanned through those reviews on Amazon and the 1 stars are bothersome and as OLGETHORPE says:

"it still is not an SSD"

Personally I find working with a conventional drive machine in any environment irritating. As has been said:

"How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm? (After they've seen Paree.)"

Jul 3, 2015 9:37 AM in response to iPhone App Index

Hello,

I installed the same Seagate 1TB SSHD Hydbrid in October of 2013 and it went bad this week. A surface scan indicates that it has 16 bad blocks. It fails to boot but I am able to boot in a safe mode from an external OS. The error I receive is that Mac OS is unable to repair the disk and I may only view and copy files. I purchased the drive at OWC and their customer service has been great. The only hitch is that the three year warranty is from Seagate and it may take a while to process the replacement so I am replacing the drive with OWC's Electra 1TB SSD instead because I no longer trust the Seagate Hybrid to last very long.

Jul 3, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Beekeepwa

Thanks Beekeepwa! I think I'll just buy the drive. I really don't want to pay an extra $200-$300 for true solid state... that feels too much like putting top-end parts in a car I plan to sell. Hopefully it'll last longer than 1.5 years, but in the meantime I'm going to be saving more and more work on the cloud so a breakdown won't totally kill me. Well that's the plan anyway...

Jul 3, 2015 10:17 AM in response to iPhone App Index

Hi iPhone App Index,

I agree on the new car parts/old car theory. My main reason for keeping my early 2011 15" MBP running is that I'm a photographer and shoot tethered with a medium format back that is producing 250mb RAW files via FW800 and this was one of the last machines to have a built in FW800 port and a Thunderbolt port. The Apple Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter can cause issues with devices that draw a lot of power since the chip set in the adapter steps down the wattage. The work around is using a powered Thunderbolt hub which means you need an AC power source just to shoot...

Jul 3, 2015 11:37 AM in response to iPhone App Index

" I really don't want to pay an extra $200-$300 for true solid state... "

What I did to my early 2011 13' MBP was to put a 120 GB SSD in just for the OS and applications. All storage would either be in the "Data Doubler" or the multitude of external drives that I have. Plus that drive cost me $69 (Old price.) and I wouldn't spend even a few minutes on a conventional drive. In fact my desk top iMac in my tech shop is a late 2006 20" iMac. It's running Lion and was so slow I couldn't wait to swap the drive out. It's now running a 3 G 120 GB SSD from OWC. It's very fast and since I'm constantly on it w/ a second monitor studying schematics, board views and Googling stuff. II don't even have to swear at it anymore.

Any opinions on Seagate 1TB SSHD (ST1000LM014)? Might install on late 2011 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.