Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System does not show available free space consistently.

Computer Specs:

Model Name:MacBook Pro
Model Identifier:MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name:Intel Core i5
Processor Speed:2.5 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:2
L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
L3 Cache:3 MB
Memory:4 GB

I have been trying to clean up files on my mac, just deleting stuff, rearranging folders, copying things to an external drive, all the normal stuff, when I noticed that the amount of free space I have didn't change at all even thought i got rid of more than a hundred gigabytes of data. Then even more confusing I found that the amount of free space left was shown inconsistently throughout the system.

User uploaded file

I was also confused that I only had 285 Gigabytes of stuff in my home folder; I'm the only user of this computer and I know that the system would not take 150 gigabytes. When I open Macintosh HD, all the files inside only showed about 350 gigabytes of data.

User uploaded file

That happens in just about all my folders, even with the hidden files included. Is there anyway to trouble shoot this? And does this mean anything, like my hard disk is about to fail?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:23 PM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2015 9:59 AM in response to haolinghome

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

System does not show available free space consistently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.