Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync songs from iTunes Library to iPhone "because iCloud Music is enabled"

I started using Apple's Music streaming service. When I was trying to sync an album purchased in the past from iTunes Store to my iPhone, I received the following message:

"Some of the files were not copied to the iPhone because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this phone"

Only a part of the album was synced to the iPhone with a few songs left out. I'm really puzzled and frustrated: I can't put on my iPhone songs that I bought from the iTunes Store because I'm using Apple Music? This does not make any sense at all.

User uploaded file

Sorry for posting this twice, I put the thread originally into Music/iOS, but then thought that iTunes is more appropriate. For some reason, editing does not allow to change the forums.

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 1:33 AM

So on your mac you have icloud music off and on the iphone you have turned on?

10 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:29 AM in response to zornie

I am having a similar issue:

I signed up for the Apple Music trial (and so far I think I like it..) BUT since I can now stream pretty much any songs I want to hear, I'd like to un-sync most of the MP3s taking up space on my phone, but when I plug my iPhone into my Macbook, iTunes just shows a greyed out music tab and says "iCloud music is turned on"

Is there anyway to get the regular "device music tab" screen with Apple/Icloud music on so that I can "uncheck" what mp3 files sync ?

I even tried deleting the files directly off the phone, but then got a message that "this would remove this file from ALL of your devices" - - I don't want to DELETE my files entirely, just get some of the mp3s off the phone.. if that makes sense.

Jul 4, 2015 10:54 AM in response to zornie

I have the same problem. I have turned on iCloud Music on my iPhone and off on my Mac. Once I did this, I was no longer able to sync music from my mac back to my iPhone, iTunes did not let me do this, It does not make sense. The only way to sync again my iPhone is to disable music library on the iPhone but this deletes the music previously downloaded from Apple Music. I'm not happy with this, it's a mess.

I would like to have Apple Music and be able to sync my own music from my mac at the same time. I hope Apple is reading this.

Can't sync songs from iTunes Library to iPhone "because iCloud Music is enabled"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.