Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony DV video camera to MacBook Pro Retina

One of main decisions for choosing Mac at recent upgrade was the excellent reputation for video editing. Looking forward to seeing the difference after years as a Windows user.

Sony imported fine to Windows XP/Vista/7 but MacBook Pro Retina, Yosemite 10.10.3, iMovie 10.0.8 has refused to mount Sony DCR-PC108E DV video camera despite all attempts. Tried it also on a friend's Win 8.1cPC. All works fine. How can this be? Hoping I don't have to go out and buy another PC.

Any ideas, please?

Set up is Sony Firewire 400 port (iLink DV Out). DV Out via FW400-FW400 cable to FW400 port on PC. Windows recognises the camera and apps like Win Movie Maker also see the camera and import videos fine.

On Mac, using FW400-FW800 cable to genuine Apple FW800-Thunderbolt adapter connected to MacBook Pro Thunderbolt port. I have tried all the orders of connection and reconnection I can think of but the connection from the Sony is not recognised in the Mac (no entry on Desktop, in Finder etc). Naturally, since the Mac doesn't recognise the Sony, the Sony is not available in iMovie as selectable video import source.

If I connect the FW800-Thunderbolt adapter by itself, it is recognised in System Information report as Thunderbolt Bus>Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter.

If I connect to that the FW800-FW400 cable, SI still reports just Thunderbolt Bus>Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter and same again with Sony connected as well in play back mode.

Please . . . where am I going wrong & what else can I try. Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:55 PM

There are no replies.

Sony DV video camera to MacBook Pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.