Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 Where is my iTunes Match?

ARGH?!

I was looking for a way to turn iTunes Match on on my updated its 12.2. Where is it? I can go to Apple Music, but while investigating I just read this:

When you match and download files from iCloud Music Library (without having an iTunes Match subscription), however, you get files with DRM; the same kind of files you get when you download files from Apple Music for offline listening. (These files should have DRM, so you can’t just download and keep all the music you want for $10 a month.) But if you’re using Apple Music, and not iTunes Match, Apple doesn’t make a distinction between which files were originally yours, and which you downloaded for offline listening from Apple Music.

This means that if you’ve matched your library with Apple Music and iCloud Music Library, you need to keep backups of your original files. If not, you’ll end up with files that you can’t play without an Apple Music subscription.

So, if I turn on Apple Music, all my own ripped tracks from my own CDs are going to be replaced by "Apple Music" versions that I cannot play anymore when subscription ends???

Which brings me to the question: where is my iTunes Match? I've paid for it but I can't access it?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Core i7, 27"

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 1:11 AM

8 replies

Jul 3, 2015 1:35 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

I'll start by answering your final question as to "where is iTunes Match". Simply put, say you canceled the new Apple Music service. You would

immediately realize where iTunes Match fits into the picture as you would still have a music library in the cloud. iTunes Match is a separate and

and distinct service but it took a different role when you signed up for Apple Music. But it's still there and don't be fooled by the new terminology

being used in settings such as "iCloud Music Library". This now pertains to any cloud you have, wether it's via Apple Music or iTunes Match. Even

the entire DRM issue only exists because your currently operating under the parameters of the Apple Music service. This too will become completely

irrevelant after the cancellation of the $9.99/month service. Most confusion lies in the fact that Apple Music is really a streaming rental service. The

cloud portion of that service really only matches your music seeing as how it's already part of the 30 million songs anyways. Either way, it's all wiped

out should the Apple Music service be cancelled. This is exactly where iTunes Match kicks in and you'll be glad it did.

Jul 3, 2015 1:40 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

So, if I turn on Apple Music, all my own ripped tracks from my own CDs are going to be replaced by "Apple Music" versions that I cannot play anymore when subscription ends???

Even if you cancel your iTunes Match subscriptions nothing will get replaced. Only if you would delete your local (DRM free) copy of a file and then re-download it via your Apple Music subscription you will get a DRM protected file (that would stop playing as soon as you cancel your Apple Music).

Jul 3, 2015 1:44 AM in response to Brskiz

Look at it like this:

If you are an Apple Music subscriber, Apple keeps a DRM restricted copy of all your music in the cloud for you to either stream or download on any of your devices.

If you are an iTunes Match subscriber (with or without Apple Music), Apple keeps a DRM free copy of all your music in the cloud.

All the local files on your Mac are not affected as long as you don't manually delete them or replace them with the (matched) copies from the cloud.

Jul 3, 2015 2:21 AM in response to narya

Apple will address this with a software update to differentiate the DRM music from other music. The clause in your first paragraph that refers to Apple Music said "Apple keeps a DRM restricted copy of all your music in the cloud",etc. There lies the logic in this whole issue. Apple Music is really a rental streaming service. Thus, everything is DRM protected. Technically, if Apple doesn't do an update its only because it doesn't really matter in the long run. Either you don't

have iTunes Match and cancel Apple Music, all stream and cloud services are discontinued. But if a user has iTunes Match, their library reverts to exactly as it was prior to using Apple Music. The DRM issue is gone and you stream or download from the cloud, DRM free as it's always been.

Sep 21, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

In my case, I have not subscribed to (or even tried) Apple Music, but my Match controls are gone. I have no interest in the streaming service (I prefer to buy my stuff, thank you very much), but I still want to maintain my Match subscription - which I paid for.

Not only can I not find the controls anymore, but I can't even find anything about it in the help (which doesn't mean much, given the general uselessness of the help, anyway). The only thing I can find anywhere is for either the iPhone or the Mac. I am running iTunes on a PC.

What is going on here? I don't trust Apple as far as I can through them, and this a prime example of why not.

Help!

iTunes 12.2 Where is my iTunes Match?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.