Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Drive Read Only

Hey there,

Just recently a disk-drive on my bootcamp partition has set itself to read-only; I have no idea how this was done. I'm able to browse through the files, open and use them but when it comes to saving/editing or even creating a new folder/file I'm not able to.

Is there a way to fix this without having to do a complte re-install through bootcamp?

Windows 7

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 3:58 AM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2015 6:34 AM in response to MyNumJum

If a Disk/Partition is formatted as NTFS, Windows can read-write, but OS X cannot. If a disk/partition is formatted as HFS+, OS X can read-write, but Windows cannot.

OSes, by default, cannot read-write across such formats. You will need third-party software to be able to write disks which are not natively understood by the OSes.

If Yosemite is installed on the Mac and it uses CoreStorage volumes and volume groups, Windows loses it's ability to even read such volumes, despite the BC drivers being installed.

What is the source OS and the destination file system type in your case?

Disk Drive Read Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.