Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are tracks greyed out in albums?

When adding albums to my music library in iTunes (happens in iOS as well), some songs are greyed out and are unavalible to stream or download for offline use.

I do have a apple music family subscription.

Why does this happen and is there a way to fix this?

Here's a image showing what I mean.

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.4, Using iTunes 12.2, Fully Updated

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 3:36 AM

Sign out and back in to your account and restart your device, this should help.

14 replies

Jul 3, 2015 6:15 AM in response to fibrexent

Same thing here. First i thought it would be some sort of "Song is not available in your country" thing since i'm in Germany and i'm very used to that 😉 but it turned out that when you search for the same song in the apple-music online-catalog you can play it without any problem.

Means that Apple, instead of letting you truly stream any song like all the other streaming services, first has to link it to your "iCloud Library" apparently... This is where it gets stuck. Thats also why you can't add a song to a playlist without adding it to your music first... Its quite disappointing.

Jul 3, 2015 6:22 AM in response to janoleb

Yes I think is strictly correlated to the fact they TRIED integrating local content, matched content, offline content and streaming content but in a bad way.

The way My Music and playlists work is confusing, and several tracks are stuck...added to My Music but greyed out, and stuck in the middle...they're added but not available and there's no way to come back until Apple hits RESET on their servers maybe 😉

And I'm in UK so is not local...also the same tracks worked first day, and greyed out from second day..now, do you think Apple will ever reply or we'll have another MobileMe/iCloud failure where no one fixes it? Because in those cases as Apple user were kinda forced using those services, in Music case the other streaming services are going to keep most of their users and Apple will loose big...because is clearly way way behind, this is not even beta testing.

I would not like to be the team responsible for Apple Music now....there are so many bugs, and important ones..

Jul 3, 2015 6:39 AM in response to rofus

We all know that Apple is, for some reason, incredibly good at making all their web products awful... But I think your right, they really have to get this one right. And not by next year but in the next three months or people won't subscribe after the free trail. I don't really think Apple looks in these forums but there is a feedback form for exactly that. Ive been just spamming them all day with every bug and flaw I could find. 😉 Maybe that helps...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Jul 3, 2015 6:49 AM in response to janoleb

The only other reason I can think of is that the artists haven't approved their music to go on to Apple Music.

Still I find it annoying that other streaming services let you access full albums whereas Apple Music doesn't, I just got the impression that Apple Music gave you access to the entire iTunes catalog. Hopefully they'll fix this within the next few months.

I'm going to try that feedback form that you meant opens though, thanks for the link.

Jul 3, 2015 6:54 AM in response to fibrexent

Thanks for link, I'll try it as well!

About the artist, I get this problem with single tracks out of entire albums otherwise available, so is not about the artist, is definitely a glitch of some tracks remaining 'stuck' while being added...so they're added to My Music but not completely...remain grey.

Apple is not new to such stuff...an example is as well Match where tracks remained in 'Waiting' forever...as someone else said, Apple is sadly not good at any cloud service...but they cannot overlook Music...they did big investment on this, and as for now most users will remain with their existing streaming accounts on other services unless all is fixed quickly before the free trial..

Personally for now I'm not even thinking about switching from Spotify to iTunes...Spotify is superior in every aspect...but hopefully Apple will quickly make Music a working service.

Jul 14, 2015 2:34 AM in response to fibrexent

I have the feeling that this is either music that is not available in the region or tracks that are marked "Album only". So if you don't buy the album, you don't get the tracks. I checked that now for 3 or 4 albums and it was always tracks with that mark. So you can add an album via Apple Music, but that does not count as 'purchased' so you don't get the extra tracks.

Jul 15, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Boskoop

I'm starting to think your suggestion is correct but a big downer for there service if this is true, I only came across it when scanning through some compilation albums last night as an example "House Every Weekend" a few of the tracks are greyed out now going into iTunes they show as "Album Only" the other thing I noticed if you secondary click on the track and get info under the file tab the iCloud Status says "Ineligible" which leads me to suggest Apple need to pull there finger out and fix this bug, technically you don't have access to the entire music Catalogue so they are false advertising a service which once people realise won't pay for past the trial, I certainly won't if they do not fix this.

Aug 5, 2015 7:16 PM in response to fibrexent

As was said already, could be that some tracks in that particular album are not available to Apple Music to stream.

Another possibility - because I have seen this - is those tracks are already IN your Library as part of another album. Happens a lot with artists that have a lot of compilation albums. If that is the case, there should be a button that says "show complete album" (or something like that). Clicking on that will show all the songs that are available as part of that album.

Why are tracks greyed out in albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.