Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IPad will not connect to ITunes and therefore cannot sync. Cable and I Tunes all OK as my I phone connects instantly

My I Pad has stopped connecting to I Tunes and therefore I cannot sync. No cable or I Tune problems as my I Phone connects instantly. I have Googled the problem and tried loads of solutions but nothing has worked.

iPad, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 6:21 AM

WE don't know what any of those "solutions" are that you tried, so unless you share them with us, we could just repeating things that you already tried. That is frustrating and just wastes time for all of us. If you would be so kind as to share what you tried, it would be appreciated.

It would also behoove you to describe exactly what happens when you try to sync the iPad and provide some details about the situation.... Error message? Does iTunes not recognize the device? Windows? Mac? Anything that could help.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 6:21 AM in response to bordercolliejudy

WE don't know what any of those "solutions" are that you tried, so unless you share them with us, we could just repeating things that you already tried. That is frustrating and just wastes time for all of us. If you would be so kind as to share what you tried, it would be appreciated.

It would also behoove you to describe exactly what happens when you try to sync the iPad and provide some details about the situation.... Error message? Does iTunes not recognize the device? Windows? Mac? Anything that could help.

Jul 3, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Demo

Solutions tried:deleted and reinstated I Tunes, checked apple files mobile device instslled,rebooted both PC and I Pad,have new cablereset I pad device.

I Have windows 7 on my PC and latest IOS 7. It was last synced March this year and no idea why it has suddenly stopped.

When I Pad connected to PC (ITunes) no error message or lightning sign, no ability to click the IPad button on I Tunes. The Ipad charges OK from the cable.

Hope this helps and thanks for the reply.

Jul 3, 2015 5:30 PM in response to bordercolliejudy

Yes it certainly does help. Sorry about replying sooner but I've been out most of the day.

It doesn't seem like it's the cable if the iPad charges when you use that cable. I assume that you are charging using the charge and plugging into a wall socket. It seems to me that you have done your due diligence with iTunes as but I am a Mac user and I'd rather a Windows person guide you through this.

The one thing that you didn't mention is if you tried another USB port on your PC. Sometimes those connections can go bad or cause problems.

You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. There is some really great information about troubleshooting iTunes in Windows that was written by turingtest2, who I consider to be the Windows/iTunes guru in the Apple Support Communities. This guy really knows iTunes and Windows. Maybe something in this user tip will help. He will also know that I have mentioned him, so I will not be shocked if he adds to the discussion.

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

Jul 5, 2015 8:01 AM in response to turingtest2

I have methodically worked through all your advice in removing all the I tunes stuff in the order you listed and reinstalled. Have cleaned the I Pad connection and tried all the USB ports. Both the I Phone and I Pad are. 'associated' on I Tunes. Still no sign of a connection with the IPAD and the charging symbol remains without the lightning symbol, but always charges when connected to the mains. What is puzzling is that my IPhone shows up immediately and will work from any of the ports with the same cable.

Don't know what else to do. Your help is much appreciated although no solution yet.

Jul 5, 2015 8:25 AM in response to bordercolliejudy

How frustrating! 😕

See also Andrei Cerbu's post here and JF Fourie's post here, In principle they give the same advice as the Apple support document iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows but perhaps they give better emphasis over some crucial point.

If you have a 64-bit system you could try switching to the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a possible workaround. The Further Information area of the user tip has direct links to other recent builds if you scroll down and it could be worth rolling back to the last one that worked properly for you.

tt2

Jul 10, 2015 5:50 AM in response to turingtest2

I am loosing the will to live!!!

Have spent hours following all your instructions plus some of apples on line. Basically I uninstalled I Tunes as per your instructions and installed version 10.3 but got the dreaded message "Itunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of I tunes". Found some advice (yours I think) about renaming the file but my computer can't find it and I tunes wont open. Another roll back no luck. uninstalled i tunes 10 and tried vers 11. Same thing and messages. In the end gave up, uninstalled (properly) vers 11 and rebooted and then installed current one BUT the library.itl message appeared again and I can't open I tunes or get rid of the message.

Still totally puzzled why iphone 4 connects with no problem. Can't even do that now until I can get I Tunes back.

Hope you can come up with a solution. As ever thank you

Jul 10, 2015 6:01 AM in response to bordercolliejudy

From the user tip:

In order to roll back to an older version of iTunes you may also need to restore the pre-upgrade library as described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

When new features are added to iTunes that requires an update of the database specification. New versions are designed to read the databases created by older versions, but the reverse isn't the case. When an update introduces a change the current file is archived in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder and used as the basis for a fresh library in the new format. For iTunes 12 the first version introduced an updated database, and so has the 12.2 release so typically users will have an archived database from last October and one from the end of June or start of July. Rolling back to an even older version of iTunes such as 10 or 11 involves locating a much older version of your library, now hopelessly out of date, or starting over. Rolling back to the last build that worked for you, such as 12.1.2 would probably not cause any issues, but you would still need to have the correct copy of the database stored in the right place.

tt2

My IPad will not connect to ITunes and therefore cannot sync. Cable and I Tunes all OK as my I phone connects instantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.